Cannibal Corpse - Kill

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Cannibal Corpse - Kill
Metal Blade - 3984-14560-2 - 2006
By Philip Whitehouse

cannibalcorpse_kill.jpg

There is possibly no more pointless endeavour in the field of heavy metal journalism than the undertaking of a review of the latest Cannibal Corpse album. If there's one thing that absolutely everyone with a passing knowledge of metal knows, it's whether or not they're going to buy the latest outpouring of gore-soaked brutality from the biggest-selling purveyors of death metal in the world. I mean, seriously, it's not like Kill's Erik Rutan production is going to be a major selling point, as raw and powerful as it is. Hell, even Jack Owen's depature from the CC fold has made little appreciable difference to their sound.

Admittedly, there are still things that should still be said about Kill - for instance, it's worth pointing out that even despite their lofty position (sales-wise) at the top of the death metal heap, and despite this being their tenth studio album, the band's trademark blend of suffocatingly thick guitars, technical intensity, brutalising groove sections and single-minded dedication to all things gore-related remains utterly and completely undimmed. The passion's still with these guys, and tracks like the infernally catchy 'Surgical Strike' and crushing closer 'Infinite Misery' stand tall alongside the band's back catalogue.

But at the end of the day, nothing that I write about Kill will make a blind bit of difference. Cannibal Corpse haters will still turn their nose up at a band that they claim have stagnated, and staunch fans will welcome their unparalleled consistency. As far as I'm concerned, this is another fine, uncompromisingly brutal effort from a band who seem unable to turn out a disappointing record. The rest of you undoubtedly already know what you think.

8.5/10 (UM's Review Rating Scale)

Cannibal Corpse's Official Website
Metal Blade's Official Website