Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Cannibal Corpse - Bloodthirst
Metal Blade - 1999
By Rodrigo

/images/covers/CannibalCorpse.jpg

I finally had the chance to listen to my first Cannibal Corpse album, Bloodthirst. For whatever reason, I always put Cannibal Corpse albums as the lowest priority in my "to buy" list. I thought that the image they conveyed was just kind of silly and I wanted to experience other bands before them. So after finally listening to Bloodthirst I can safely say that this band knows how to play extremely brutal and crushing death metal. Sure, the lyrics are definitely horror-like, gory, disturbing and at times gross but they are just that, lyrics. Its no different from reading a Stephen King book, plenty of horrific images come up to mind when I remember all the books I have read by him and you don’t hear people really blaming Stephen King for the sort of stuff that gets put on Cannibal Corpse. So I don’t really buy the argument that Cannibal Corpse's lyrics are dangerous. Frankly, I enjoyed them more than "we are the true warriors of metal" lyrics of some of the cheesy power metal bands (and no I am not a psychopath, just a person who can tell what is fiction).

Musically, Cannibal Corpse is a vicious attack to your aural senses. It is a straight forward, blistering death metal assault. They are not overly technical like Cryptopsy but what they do play is filled with so much passion and aggression. One of the songs I enjoyed the most is "Hacksaw Decapitation". The intro builds very slowly and it reminds me of a typical scene in a horror film where the music gives off the feeling that something bad is going to happen soon (like someone gets killed). In the case of this song, instead of being killed, you are hit with the full force of the aggressive guitars of Jack Owen and Pat O’Brien, powerful drums of Paul Mazurkeiwicz and harsh vocals by George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, that sound like they come straight from hell. Two other songs that I really enjoy because of the overall flow (speed, feel, rhyming) are "Blowtorch Slaughter" and "Condemned to Agony". The latter song has very cool guitar solos especially the last one.

Other parts of the album that I enjoy are the fast rhythmic pace of the verses in "Unleashing the Bloodthirsty", the opening bass line by Alex Webster in "Coffinfeeder", as well as the main guitar riff of "Dead Human Collection" and the section that begins when George sings "Mind altered" in "Ecstasy in Decay".

These are just some of the highlights that one can find in this album. Overall, Bloodthirst is one great album and I am glad that I finally heard Cannibal Corpse. I look forward to expanding my collection and seeing them live in the upcoming "Spring Neckbreak Tour" with Dimmu Borgir, The Haunted and Lamb of God. Cannibal Corpse

Cannibal Corpse is one of my favorite death metal bands, if you wish to check out more of their stuff i suggest you hear the albums 'tomb of the mutilated', and 'butchered at birth', all the albums are great if you're really into brutal death metal, but those two are a must have in any musical collection :)

Coffinfeeder is a good one! Gallery Of Suicide is a decent album too IMO, Sentenced To Burn would be my favorite off that one.
Besides these two, I only have The Bleeding. I remember my dad bought me that one for getting good grades in my last semester in High School :D