Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hi there

Neil, i have a question regarding cannibal corpse - the wretched spawn, the guitar sound to be more precise.
as far as i can tell from the "making of" dvd, pat used his usual mt2-triple recto setup, and jack his rack based around the digitech 2101 preamp
maybe you can be a bit more detailed about pat's setup? i know how he sets the mt2 up, at least roughly, so i'm more interested in the way the amp is set up - in case you remember and, more importantly, want to share ;)

morover, IIRC jack played the songs he wrote, and pat played both his and alex' songs....the question is, do i recall correctly or not? :D :D :D

anways, great job! the production is really great, on par with bloodthirst which is kinda my reference for death metal productions ;)

thanks in advance

I really don't remember the amp settings at all - we didn't write them down at least. We used his same amp setup for Gore Obsessed as well, and the cab and mic we ended up using for Spawn was totally different so we just rolled with it. Sorry about that.

You are correct as far as who played on what songs.

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

thanks for the quick reply! :wave:

as for the playing thing, i was kinda unsure about it because the making of dvd clearly shows pat playing decency defied, which definitely is a jack song.

i wonder if you only used the recto rig for pat's playing and tracked jack's songs with the digitech rack, or if it was always a mix of both, so let's say pat would do 2 tracks using the recto and 2 using the digitech, and for jack vice versa?

"We used his same amp setup for Gore Obsessed as well, and the cab and mic we ended up using for Spawn was totally different so we just rolled with it."
yep...as far as i know pat's been using that setup for ages...basically since the switch from nevermore to CC. once again proves how much of a difference cabs, mics, and different sets of talented hands can make :headbang:

well, as for his amps settings...a friend of mine (and later rob himself) gave me the exact settings for rob barrett's dual recto rig which is very similar to pat's rig except for the dual-triple thing, and well, basically he has his gain cranked, plus the mt2 set as a boost/parametric EQ. i wonder if pat is equally extreme? the guy i spoke to told me pat's tone is even more loose and fat than rob's, so one could assume he's even more extreme than rob :D on the other hand, keeping stuff tight in a studio situation, especially when tracking 4 tracks, while using this much gain could be quite a job to say the least :D moreover, when i saw them at the german party.san open air last year, pat's sound SLAYED. up to that point i used to believe it was all studio magic, but that night it was pure magic, hence this thread ;)

thanks

Pat's palm muting is extreme. He plays REALLY hard. That counteracts the extreme gain to a point of course. It's all in the articulation and combination of those factors really. It just works.

NK said:
Pat's palm muting is extreme. He plays REALLY hard. That counteracts the extreme gain to a point of course. It's all in the articulation and combination of those factors really. It just works.

Niel,

Do you have a preference when recording metal as far as how "hard" the guitarist plays? Lately I've been trying to figure out what's best when I'm recording my own stuff. Generally I get a better sound if I play hard but as a result I play sloppier.

No. I just want the guitarist to do what they do. That's what their music is all about - their personality. Asking them to essentially change what they do is somewhat counterproductive to me, because that will usually affect the feel and the comfort zone of the player.

Of course, if there are any problems then I'll suggest ways to get around them.

That's great Neil. I frequently get told the same thing by local engineers.

I think for a lot of engineers, having the musician do their thing is putting them out of THEIR comfort zone... so they tend to preffer the musician using equipment that they have in the studio, or just equipment they're used to dealing with and are comfortable that they can make a good record out of.

I think that's a pretty fast track to developing a generic 'stamp' sound.

Yes. As I've said before, I don't do any two albums the same way, and I mould myself to the project, rather than having the project mould to me. Character is the most important thing to me, and doing it the other way round is definitely a way to help the artist lose their character and become part of the producer and/or the engineer's "process". I simply won't work that way.

. We used his same amp setup for Gore Obsessed as well, and the cab and mic we ended up using for Spawn was totally different so we just rolled with it. Sorry about that.

Hi Neil
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but do you recall what mics, cabs and especially what speakers were used on each CC cd you produced?

P.S
Love your production skills
thanks!

On G.O. we used Pat's triple rec, with an extended Mesa cabinet, and a Sennheiser 421.

On T.W.S. we used the same amp, a brand new Crate cab with Celestions in it and a Shure 57.

For Jack's stuff we used his Digitech rig, and the same cab/mic combos as above.