Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn

Henrik Main

Hello
Aug 10, 2002
Norway
Visit site
Wow.

Wow.

I just got this through DC. And.. And.. It's brilliant. Now, I enjoyed both of their latest studio full-lenghts, "Bloodthirst" and "Gore Obsessed", and it's safe to say that CC haven't exactly changed their sound a lot on this album. Still, there is something to it that is different.. A bit more creativity, perhaps? And a bit more technicality, without ruining the groove and the flow?

The opening track, "Severed Head Stoning", is a killer. 1:45 short, fast and relentless. Brilliant. The title track starts out as a crushing mid-tempo song, but then shapeshifts into a lightning fast riff-fest. The opening riff of another personal fave of mine, "Cyanide Assasin", reminds me a bit of the opening riff of "Fucked With A Knife", and sounds like a crowd pleaser. And oh. It just gets better. The heavy mid-tempo tune "Festering In The Crypt" has one of the best build-ups in history, and it all culminates in a fast dual solo. Incredible.

Still, I haven't mentioned my favourite track on the album. The groovy, brilliant piece of a brutal, crushing mid-tempo song (with the mandatory fast passage) that is "Nothing Left To Mutilate". It's possible to hear the morbid, twisted lyrics quite clear too. A death metal anthem that quite possibly will rise to be one of my alltime favourite songs.

All fans of Cannibal Corpse will love this one. All fans of DM should love this one too, although I expect that quite a few of you purists out there will hate it just because it is CC. To those of you who haven't checked out this band yet, pick up this CD. As it is great.

SculptedCold said:
It's not released, it's leaked! and for the record, i'm not at all impressed with it. =(

Bargh, it's brilliant (IMO!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111 :p ). It's even better than Gore Obsessed and Bloodthirst, I feel. But then, if I remember correctly, you're not heavily into CC, no?

No dude, i'm one of the biggest CC fans I know. =)

No way is it better than Bloodthirst! Bloodthirst is an exercise in morbid divinity.

The production on Wretched Spawn is about their best ever, but the songs....hmm, the songs. I'm not convinced. Not yet anyway.

I quite like the production on The Wretched Spawn, but I also feel Gore Obsessed's more trebly/"sharp" production was great.

Perhaps this album has to grow on you. About every CC album had to grow on me (except Gore Obsessed), but not this one. I guess that's a good sign. T'as been a great DM day for me, anyway. Decapitated's - The Negation was brilliant, and Wretcbed Spawn way surpassed my expectations :)

ffanatic said:
I've never been a CC fan. Good to know their still around, and haven't gone St. Anger on their music/fanbase, though.
I second this notion. CC were never high on my list of decent death metal bands, but at least they've stayed true to their roots.