Building new studio desk...

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
This is sort of an extension to this other thread of mine: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/594814-my-studio-build-hopefully-weekly-update.html.

But since probally some people on here are only interested in maybe the desk design I thought it wouldn't hurt to make an other thread about this.

Due to the fact that the supply of my shed has been postponed by the companies, because of forrest fires, I have to wait until they can deliver.
To kill time I thought I might as well just start with creating the first furniture that I will be using in the studio. I allready have all of the MDF, and will start tonight with the first preperations...

So here are the plans. I hope to get back to you with some more stuff later this week and actual photos.

studio-desk-1.jpg

studio-desk-2.jpg

studio-desk-3.jpg

studio-desk-4.jpg

Cool man, I hope it goes well!

Are you a little concerned that those LRM launchers... err, racks are going to interfere with the firing line of the monitors too much, possibly causing significant comb filtering at the mix position?

Cool man, I hope it goes well!

Are you a little concerned that those LRM launchers... err, racks are going to interfere with the firing line of the monitors too much, possibly causing significant comb filtering at the mix position?

Yes! I'm still figuring this out, maybe I should put a smaller angle on the slanted rack.....

It's the thing that puzzles me about most studio desks... where to put the racks. The guys that are using their racks as a meter bridge type thing to mount speakers on have it easy, but if you're doing it a little more properly and using dedicated stands then you have to make sure their firing line is pretty clear. So not only do the side racks hurt you there but also having the LCD right in front of them. Acoustics is such a bitch.

It's the thing that puzzles me about most studio desks... where to put the racks. The guys that are using their racks as a meter bridge type thing to mount speakers on have it easy, but if you're doing it a little more properly and using dedicated stands then you have to make sure their firing line is pretty clear. So not only do the side racks hurt you there but also having the LCD right in front of them. Acoustics is such a bitch.
This.

Floor racks would solve the problem but they suck.
I need to see the "clipping" LEDs while adjusting the gain, I don't want to bend down to reach the gain, volume or pan knobs.. many reasons against one.
I think I will just go with the "meterbridge" thing.

Or you could "sink" them and additionaly build them less high (let's say just 4 RU), similiar to this desk: http://www.studiotisch.com/
Doesn't really solve the problem, though

So with this whole discussion I went back to the drawning board and came up with new rack units that are less high.
Only thing I'm in doubt about is the screen. I'm not really a fan of putting that on a huge distance from me.
I prefer also keeping the bigger size triangle so I have a really good stereo seperation. If I shrink the triangle monitor come closer, thus having the monitor less in the way..etc.etc...

Anyhow..pics:
studio-desk-v2-1.jpg

studio-desk-v2-2.jpg

studio-desk-v2-3.jpg

studio-desk-v2-4.jpg

edit..crillenman..when I was typing I was posting the new version :)..haha

What I've thought about doing is just putting a TV stand in between the monitor stands and mounting a large 44" HDTV there instead of using a monitor. Less acoustic interference, and more table space. Not sure if that idea is up your alley.

Good call on the extra incline on the racks, but will the units still be convenient to tweak when they're almost flat?

What I've thought about doing is just putting a TV stand in between the monitor stands and mounting a large 44" HDTV there instead of using a monitor. Less acoustic interference, and more table space. Not sure if that idea is up your alley.

Good call on the extra incline on the racks, but will the units still be convenient to tweak when they're almost flat?

Also thought of this, but I first have some other things on the list that are more important.. Putting a full HDTV will solve all these issues tho.

About the RU units, I've now gone from a 30 degree angle to 15 degree. I also could op to put it to 20 and probally will still be good.