Building a Studio Desk

JeffEstrada

Ascend Recordings
Dec 16, 2010
Yea so hopefully I can start on it real soon. Here's my plan if anyone want's to check it out. I made it using Google Sketchup:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10891235/FORUM/JOEY STURGIS FORUM/Threads/Desk/desk3.skp

Here's how it looks:
Desk.png

desk%20build.png

Has anyone built one in the past? got any advice?

i am in the process of building something very similar. id love to see how it looks when its done man. the plan looks great.

i built a desk for my c24 about 2 years ago. i used the highest quality materials and i got assistance from an uncle who builds houses. we used a template from an argosy style desk with details in the instructions manual.

needless to say the desk sucked... and i spent way more money than i should have. it was nice bonding with my family and building with my bare hands but i donated the desk to a school and bought an argosy desk that ultimately cost 40% less than the cost of my diy desk.

moral of the story... building is more fun but buying is less of a headache (and most of the time - less costly).

may the force be with you, jeff! ;)

Needs decoupling from the floor and better back support, otherwise you have a big risk of the table collapsing (that is why most bookshelves have X-shaped metal bars in the back).

Thank's a lot I really appreciate it. Along the way, i'm definitely gonna have to add a lot more support to it.

i am in the process of building something very similar. id love to see how it looks when its done man. the plan looks great.
I'll be posting up pictures along the way. I'll probably start it sometime this week.

i built a desk for my c24 about 2 years ago. i used the highest quality materials and i got assistance from an uncle who builds houses. we used a template from an argosy style desk with details in the instructions manual.

needless to say the desk sucked... and i spent way more money than i should have. it was nice bonding with my family and building with my bare hands but i donated the desk to a school and bought an argosy desk that ultimately cost 40% less than the cost of my diy desk.

moral of the story... building is more fun but buying is less of a headache (and most of the time - less costly).

may the force be with you, jeff! ;)

Thank's Tim.
I don't have much experience with building so hopefully this doesn't turn out too bad.