Building a nice studio desk.

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
So I'm waiting on some back ordered parts for my amp company. I decided I needed something to keep me busy, so I started building a studio desk. No way in hell I'm paying the prices for a prebuilt desk. Making my own gives me the flexibility to do whatever the hell I want, and at a fraction of the cost.

My goals were to have plenty of space for rack gear, flat area for writing space/coffee mug, shelf space for NS-10's and another set of monitors, room for two 22inch widescreen monitors, and a built in appearance for my Tascam US-2400.

Here is what I drew up. Don't pay attention to the equipment on it, just wanted to show what it would look like all filled up.

front_desk.jpg

back_desk.jpg

top_desk.jpg

bottom_desk.jpg

iso_desk.jpg

It doesn't have any of the finishing touches in the model, such as rounded edges etc. Going to be using India Ink to dye the wood, then getting a gloss finish using a few coats of polyurethane and wet sanding.

looks pretty hot man. Can't wait to see the glossy finish!

I've made my own desk, but I haven't done any rackspaces to it. It's just a modified table with different legs, but I think it's awesome.

looks pretty hot man. Can't wait to see the glossy finish!

I've made my own desk, but I haven't done any rackspaces to it. It's just a modified table with different legs, but I think it's awesome.

The gloss black should look good while still showing the grain. Didn't want to stain it black since its oak and would end up having a purple hue to it. Dying with ink seems to be the only way to go to get real black while still showing grain. Check out what India Ink can do-

DSCN0738.jpg

That's cool as hell.

My only suggestion:

Make sure your monitor gain knob is no more than a foot from reach. I know that's the one thing I end up grabbing more than anything and it makes a word of difference to have it within a foot of reach. Just saying.

Grabbing a Presonus MSR just for the reason you stated :headbang:

Aren't the speakers a bit to low? Or the computer screens to high? As the speakers should be at ear height?

I threw a chair in the model and lined up the speakers to my ears. They are actually a bit high, but I have Mopads that angle them down at the right angle.

My actual computer screens sit lower than the ones in the pic, I just used a screen i found online.

My only concern would be KB/mouse use... while the Tascam is great and I'm sure you use it a fair bit when mixing, editing and tracking are almost 100% KB/mouse, and I personally spend more time tracking/editing than I do mixing.

2010-01-18213911.jpg

Rough cuts in the plywood are done. Home Depot fucked me over, I wanted oak ply, and asked for it, but evidently they had birch in the oak spot, so now I'm stuck with birch plywood and oak solids. Hopefully the 2 different woods take the India Ink the same.

Even if your screens sit lower, I really wouldn't put them on raisers. I found this to be the number one design flaw with many studio desks. A screen should be placed in a way that the uppermost line of pixels is on eye level while looking straight forward.

You'll (probably) be spending lots of hours at this desk so don't underestimate this, your neck will be thankful.

Even if your screens sit lower, I really wouldn't put them on raisers. I found this to be the number one design flaw with many studio desks. A screen should be placed in a way that the uppermost line of pixels is on eye level while looking straight forward.

You'll (probably) be spending lots of hours at this desk so don't underestimate this, your neck will be thankful.

Thanks for the info. I'm considering movable arms, that way no matter where I'm sitting, or standing, I can adjust them to wherever is convenient. Unfortunately they aren't cheap, but I'm saving so much money on building my desk I may as well splurge elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. I'm considering movable arms, that way no matter where I'm sitting, or standing, I can adjust them to wherever is convenient. Unfortunately they aren't cheap, but I'm saving so much money on building my desk I may as well splurge elsewhere.

I like your attitude :headbang: