Bullet For My Valentine - Mimicing the vocal?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, Just working on a cover currently in order to help with my recording practice. The song is the new one, "scream aim fire".

Any tips and tricks would be awesome of course! And if Mr Sneap is back in the joint after much holiday beer & turkey ( :kickass: ) it would be golden to get some idea even if brief on how he went about mixing the vocals on "the posion", how may tracks involved etc.

Im still awful at vocal production despite some very nice tips from chaps around here.
I understand that Matt Tuck's vocals were entirely double tracked, I believe I read that from Andy after "the poison" was released, and I figure its the same again.

I know it's impossible to polish a turd, but still it will be good to get the vocal sounding as good as possible.

I'll probably end up doing backing vocals I imagine, although they are only the chants so nothing too crazy.

The general plan here as it is also recording on a budget- singer will be going through the pop filter into sm57, into the podxt on a completely clean patch which has sounded nice and direct in the past (worth adding any distortion to it i wonder?).
I'll probably slap a high pass filter at 100Hz before compression, to avoid pops and rumble (thanks sick boy) and for backing vocals stand slightly further away from the mic (ta OZ).
Then into a compressor such as rvox, and a good sounding reverb of some sort.

There was also a tip i had picked up from keith- possibly direct the mic slightly off access to avoid certain undesirable nuances or whatever.

I was thinking (although not sure on this) two vocals, one panned a bit left, one panned a bit right. Then backing vocals smack in the centre- say two takes of those from seperate people. I have never experimented with much vocal mixing so am going to try recording myself doubled today to see how tight things need to be as well, as the singer involved is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Thanks in advance!

Kev

can't help you on the BFMV thing but in general when tracking a couple of voxs what I do is :

on the backing vox I inverse what I've done on the lead vox.
usually I have a slight boost around 3-5k on the leads..that's the frequency I'd reduce on the backings then.

also the backings are often way more compressed (faster attack more reduction) then the leads.

Yeh that makes sense mate, thanks for the quick reply! I shall add those tips to the arsenal :) Meanwhile, i've uprooted the following tip from mr Richardson

"The effects used on the vocals were double tracking all vocals manually whether it be clean, heavy or harmonys , an eventide H300 was used on all vocals with a tiny chorus effect also a short delay somewhere between 200 ms and 300 ms"

Also, going from what i've seen Brett say, the vocal chain should pretty much go... Eq, de-esser, compression, very slight delay, touch of reverb.