Vocal tuning question

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
So I commonly have my vocals all grouped in 'main', 'backing', 'shouts' etc. etc. sub-groups.

The 'main vox' tend to consist of the main vocal line and whatever doubles were done to it in tracking.

Now say I wanted to tune the main vocal line, should I run melodyne across the bus and just tune all the main vocals together, or should I be tuning them on an individual, track by track basis?

Thanks!

yeah one at the time. up to now melodyne can only tune 1 isolated melody. but they developped the thing called "Direct Note Acces". a technology that will able to recognize the notes out of a guitar chord for example, and you'll be able to tune each note of the chord. it will come with the next version of Melodyne.

Holy smokes. Auto tune across a bus?
I use it maybe 1 or 2 times in a song if that. Usually not at all. I'm a big fan of a natural voice.
Also you'll be sorely disappointed if you expect Melodyne to detect the correct pitch of screams. For some reason it has a hard time detecting the root note if there are a lot of overtones (raspy sound of screams).

i do things similar moonlapse ...just a quick question when you send those mono vocal tracks to the sub groups...you make the sub groups stereo right.....so stereo reverb and delay can be added ect. ???

And yeah when i use autotune its on the individual mono tracks.....i tried putting it on the stereo group and it sounded weird....i thought anyways

yeah one at the time. up to now melodyne can only tune 1 isolated melody. but they developped the thing called "Direct Note Acces". a technology that will able to recognize the notes out of a guitar chord for example, and you'll be able to tune each note of the chord. it will come with the next version of Melodyne.

Yeah cool. I do stress though that the vocal doubles are all singing the EXACT same notes, so it's more a matter of Melodyne's detection and tuning algorithm, and how well it can work for multiple sources being tuned to the same pitch at once.

I will stick to individual tracks. Thanks guys.

Sorry dude, posted that at 5am, just skimming over the thread.

I use mono groups for the main vox (just the main line that will remain centered, and any 'supporting' lines meant to augment it up the middle). Stereo groups for all else.