Burning a Master Disc

Steven Otto

May 9, 2010
The Netherlands
Hey guys,

I did a mastering job for a band and as a result I got some nice .wav files of the final songs. I got these from rendering the master tracks from Reaper.
Does this make sense?

Now i'm having diffuculties with burning the songs on a disc.

1. The first problem is labeling the song. I want the songs to have metatags and ID3 or whatever it is called. Somehow I can't edit it by accessing 'properties'. When I burn the CD it shows 'Track 1' 'Track 2' etc. I want to be 'awesomemetalsongsauce'.

2. When I burned the CD and tested it on my computer, the cd showed up as a disc with the songs, but the songs were only 1kb. Is this normal?

I've tried burning the CD as an 'Audio CD' but no good result so far.

Who can help me?
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I did a mastering job for a band and as a result I got some nice .wav files of the final songs. I got these from rendering the master tracks from Reaper.
Does this make sense?

Now i'm having diffuculties with burning the songs on a disc.

1. The first problem is labeling the song. I want the songs to have metatags and ID3 or whatever it is called. Somehow I can't edit it by accessing 'properties'. When I burn the CD it shows 'Track 1' 'Track 2' etc. I want to be 'awesomemetalsongsauce'.

You're probably talking about CDTEXT, which is used by car CD players and such to dig up the metadata for the songs. Most reasonable CD burning software can embed this into the disc. When you load the disc up in iTunes or such on a computer, the player software usually connects to an online service to get the album details. ID3 tags belong with MP3's, which is not what you're doing here.

2. When I burned the CD and tested it on my computer, the cd showed up as a disc with the songs, but the songs were only 1kb. Is this normal?

I've tried burning the CD as an 'Audio CD' but no good result so far.

Who can help me?
Thanks in advance.

What you're seeing here is just the index file for the audio track. Remember, you burned an audio CD, not a data CD. The songs are in digital audio format on the disc, not as WAV files.

Hey Jarrko, thanks for the help so far!

This is how my files look at the moment:
properties.png

I can't edit the empty spaces. With a MP3 I can just click on the empty space and fill in any title I want.

How can I add CDTEXT to the CD?

When I put the cd in my computer, I want it to have show the important data like:
- Name of the song
- Name of the band
- Name of the album

Basicly just like the proffesional albums. Is this possible and how do I do this?

cheers,
Steven

What software do you use to burn discs? Like Jarkko said, most CD burning utilities have a built-in option to add CDText. I'm almost certain you can edit metadata for .wav files in Windows Media Player and Winamp. But your hardware needs to be able to support writing CDText.

I've tried WinAmp, Nero 10 and some random Disc burning program I downloaded.

Editing the metadata in Winamp didn't help.
I will post a screenshot of that later today.