what burning program do you use for masters?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
Is there a specific program to use, or does any CD burner program work? When my old band made our CD, we had to burn it to red book specs. Does this still apply today with the commonality of PC based burning? I know on som eolder stereos, PC burnt CD's won't play, so I want to make sure our demo is playable in anything.

nwright said:
Is there a specific program to use, or does any CD burner program work? When my old band made our CD, we had to burn it to red book specs. Does this still apply today with the commonality of PC based burning? I know on som eolder stereos, PC burnt CD's won't play, so I want to make sure our demo is playable in anything.

I use wavelab 5 - I absolutely love it for mastering. You can burn your cd's with it as red book standard, and the thing I like the most is that it gives you a printable PQ coding list when you have inserted your markers and inputed the album data.

I don't know what's the socre with pressing plants these days, I think they no longer give a damn about red book and just use whatver you send them. No masters leave my studio if they are not red book.

Burn your masters at 1X and use quality CDR's such as HHB gold or apogees.

I haven't had 1 playback issue with any of my masters.

All the best.

G.

Gomez said:
I use wavelab 5 - I absolutely love it for mastering. You can burn your cd's with it as red book standard, and the thing I like the most is that it gives you a printable PQ coding list when you have inserted your markers and inputed the album data.

I don't know what's the socre with pressing plants these days, I think they no longer give a damn about red book and just use whatver you send them. No masters leave my studio if they are not red book.

I haven't had 1 playback issue with any of my masters.

All the best.

G.

same here. Wavelab 6 is out. next week i´ll be using it.

Gomez said:

I've always read you should burn them at 2x as 1x for some reason is more prone to errors.

I use Taiyo Yuden discs, Bob Katz reccomends them in his Mastering Book and haven't had any problems with them.

nwright said:

Any program the burns to red book standards will work....you need to worry more so about the hardware side of things.....the burner and cd stock.....wait, are you burning these or are you sending a master off for repo...

SPLASTiK said:
I've always read you should burn them at 2x as 1x for some reason is more prone to errors.

Not trying to be a "smart-arse", but the reason why it's better to write at very slow speeds it's because:

1 - the CD burning process is an analog one - not digital, so:
2 - When you are burning a disc you are making microspocic "dents" (they have a particular name but I can't remeber), so:
3 - The more more accurate/sharper these "dents" are, the more reliable the disc will be, so:
4: the slower you burn the more accurate these dents will be.

Gomez said:
Not trying to be a "smart-arse", but the reason why it's better to write at very slow speeds it's because:
Not trying to be a "smart-arse", but I've always read burning at 2x is better because of jitter. Burning at 2x tends to have less errors.

SPLASTiK said:
Not trying to be a "smart-arse", but I've always read burning at 2x is better because of jitter. Burning at 2x tends to have less errors.

Interesting, I have never heard about jitter problems with a CD unit.

And these "dents" I was talking about are actually called "pits" (just remebered).

I know that if you burn slower, the "pits" edges are sharper therefore more reliable.

I'm not sure about the jitter thing you said. Good to know, I'll have a look.

Gomez said:

1 - the CD burning process is an analog one - not digital, so:

Äh... No. It's only 1's and 0's and it stays 1's and 0's regardless of which speed.
And there are bits for error correction, too.

but maybe you mean something else

SPLASTiK said:

I think you both have a point....in general is best to burn at slower speed (not 64x).....but there also is a speed in which each indvidual burner is going to be the most error free....it seems that this speed usually falls at 2x or 4x....there is plenty of research on the internet about this.....

Gomez said:
I know that if you burn slower, the "pits" edges are sharper therefore more reliable.

Just a thought, Nero always offers me 4x as the slowest speed with regular Traxdata or similar blanks. Is it the limitation of a CD (to prevent the laser beam from "digging in" too hard) or the burner itself?

SickBoy said:
Just a thought, Nero always offers me 4x as the slowest speed with regular Traxdata or similar blanks. Is it the limitation of a CD (to prevent the laser beam from "digging in" too hard) or the burner itself?

I am going to guess burner.....but not sure...

chadsxe said:
Any program the burns to red book standards will work....you need to worry more so about the hardware side of things.....the burner and cd stock.....wait, are you burning these or are you sending a master off for repo...

In this case, it would be for repro purposes. In the past, we've handed out CD-R demos and have never encountered a problem, as most kids at shows these days are young enough to have newer playback equipment (computers, stereos, etc). But, if we put something out we get duped and packaged, I want it to be as close to pro as possible.

nwright said:
In this case, it would be for repro purposes. In the past, we've handed out CD-R demos and have never encountered a problem, as most kids at shows these days are young enough to have newer playback equipment (computers, stereos, etc). But, if we put something out we get duped and packaged, I want it to be as close to pro as possible.

Well then you are going to have to worry about the error rate (i.e. burner)...