Burning Human "close" mix

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
Burning Human, the "old-school" Death Metal band featuring Jason Bittner of Shadows Fall, decided to throw up a "close/rough" mix of a track i did for them, saving the final mix for the album.... it's pretty close to final but several small changes have been made of the final version that really tighten it up.

As Good As Dead rough but close

check it out and Add these guys!

triggered, no.... added samples, yes. the original kick is there, along with a sample enhancement to beef if up a bit. Snare is the real snare and a Slate Sample. rhythm guitars are re-amped using my 6505+.

btw, the main solo is me, playing through my Madison Divinity.

Wicked Rhythm tone!! What were the amp settings? Cabinet type? Overdrive? Mic/preamp? It would be extremely cool of you to share that sort of thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious as to how you set up your 5150/6505.

Thanks,

-0z-

Cool stuff and the mix sounds really nice. I really used to like the stuff that came from the Troy/Albany area in the 90's. War time manner, Dying Breed and Stigmata were really good. Especially War Time Manner sounded pretty fuckin mean. I think my girlfriend has the old "We The People" compilation where Burning Human had a few songs... I'll have to go find it and gove it a listen :-D.

Wicked Rhythm tone!! What were the amp settings? Cabinet type? Overdrive? Mic/preamp? It would be extremely cool of you to share that sort of thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious as to how you set up your 5150/6505. Thanks, -0z-
don't remember the exact amp settings, i've sinced changed them quite a bit for Rock mix i'm working on, cab is my Mesa Std. with V30's, mic was 57, OD was TS-9, Pre was ADL 600.

Do you get good results using it on snare? I have only used my ADL on cabs and overheads, on cabs of course it sounds killer but i wasnt to impressed using it on overheads and keep in mind i was using AKG C1000's as overhead mics so thats probable alot of the problem.

Do you get good results using it on snare? I have only used my ADL on cabs and overheads, on cabs of course it sounds killer but i wasnt to impressed using it on overheads and keep in mind i was using AKG C1000's as overhead mics so thats probable alot of the problem.
engage the hpf at 40cycles and be sure to set the resistance (ohms setting) properly for the mics you are using, and the ADL is great for OH's.... as long as you have good mics and place them well, and over good sounding cymbals that are properly played in a decent acoustic space that is.

thats alot of variable's ....amazing mix dude.....you da man
engage the hpf at 40cycles and be sure to set the resistance (ohms setting) properly for the mics you are using, and the ADL is great for OH's.... as long as you have good mics and place them well, and over good sounding cymbals that are properly played in a decent acoustic space that is.

Great stuff - I really like the guitars. Personally i would like the drums or - perhaps just the toms - to be a tiny tad louder - not very much though - but what do i know:) Very cool lead - both the playing and the sound.

Sounds Ok Murph, in my opinion i feel the drums sound over triggered, i don't know myuch about this band maybe they play with a drum machine, so apologies if that is the case.
Guitar sound is good though.
Vox i feel are a dB or 2 hot and extremely unintelligible.

Snare also seems to drag in the chorus section.

Hope that helps

I am Very Metal

x

Sounds Ok Murph, in my opinion i feel the drums sound over triggered, i don't know myuch about this band maybe they play with a drum machine, so apologies if that is the case.
Guitar sound is good though.
Vox i feel are a dB or 2 hot and extremely unintelligible.

Snare also seems to drag in the chorus section.

Hope that helps

I am Very Metal

x
give me an example of a current metal record which does not sound "over-triggered" in your opinion..... please.

vox are fine... i mean, they are growling, not singing. not going to be very intelligible no matter what i do. as far as the snare dragging, the drummer is in control totally of what he's doing there... so it's dragging on purpose.. it's the feel he wanted.

anyway, i stated it wasn't quite done... and did not actually ask for any critique or "help". :p