Bus/ Folder q's

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
I am slightly confused about something. I read 006's thread below where he is talking about his project setup and I am fine with the concept of Folders and individual busses for chorus/delay/parallel comp etc but he also mentions 'Drum Bus' + 'Guitar Bus' etc. Is this different to the Group/Folder channel? I assume this Bus routes ALL of the kit/guitar parts or whatever through to apply an overall effect(s)? In order to do this would you then just set up another bus within the Folder and route everything through it, or can you use the Folder as that overall bus? Hope I make sense....

well i'm a SX3 user, and theres a choice of an FX bus (to place ur effect sends on) and a group bus (for grouping your tracks and effecting a number of them at the same time), and then theres folders that u can place ur audio tracks into to collapse and open easily.

hope i'm on the right wave length, does this make sence lol

Folders don't behave like buses in that they have nothing to do with audio routing - they are simply there for organizational purposes. "Group Tracks" in Cubase are the same thing as Buses in other software, although they are a bit more flexible and powerful.

I use Cubase 4.

Hmm, I think Reaper is different. In the past I've placed EQ's etc on the 'Folder' track and it has done what I wanted it to do, i.e. effect all the tracks within the folder.

Ok, If all else fails read the manual! It seems as if Reaper's Folders also operate as Group Bus/Submix's. Cool, that simplifies things a bit. Any Reaper users want to chip in?

it's one of reapers strongest points...routing multiple tracks to effects/folder tracks is effortless.... I think thats why so many people hop on board..

Folders work on the basis that you don't actually have to physically set up the routing providing the tracks are all 'contained' within that folder section but you can also route the tracks manually using the I/O options (which seems to work more like a conventional bus). Which option should I use?