Bush creates intellectual property czar; Lars Ulrich busts a nut in excitement

Why would there need to be? If copyright violation is already illegal there (which I assume it is), how does the Internet suddenly make it impossible to identify or prosecute illegal downloaders? It sounds like they just have some retarded court precedent on the subject.

i'm pretty sure it means you can't be prosecuted for it

as in it's legal and there's no law against it

it's an impossible law to effectively enforce, anyway

I doubt any of us knows enough about Canadian law to say for sure. Maybe cookie can provide us with some links. The fact is that having immunity to copyright law just because you commit the violations over the Internet makes absolutely jackshit worth of sense.

I really have no idea how anyone could consider that wrong. Anyway, this new thing is, as pointed out by my friend, probably unconstitutional.

Bush has a scoring system for his bullshit. Points are awarded for stupidity, subtracted for practicality, and there are bonus points for illegality.

I really have no idea how anyone could consider that wrong. Anyway, this new thing is, as pointed out by my friend, probably unconstitutional.

It's all a matter of scale. Of course it's not that big a deal to copy a CD for a friend (probably still illegal, but no one's going to lock you up for that). But what's happening on the Internet is a far cry from that.

I don't understand how our country is so broken that illegal things pass.

That's what the Supreme Court is for. Historically, they've shot down many, many unconstitutional laws. It'd be nice if there were some scandal surrounding usage of the Patriot Act that got brought before the Supreme Court, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be happening yet.

As much I am an advocate for bands' rights to their music, I'd say the government has a fuck ton more priorities at the moment.