Busiest drummer I've ever seen

Apr 14, 2010
Germany
Just came across Matt Garstka, drummer for Animals As Leaders.
Man am I flabbergasted. He is ultra impressive. Very, very busy, fast and hard-hitting, it's unreal. However, after watching him play for 15 minutes my head is spinning. I can't imagine trying to edit his drum takes if I had to which, for the most part, I doubt.

Anyway, just had to post this because it's impressive:

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by 'busiest', fastest?

He hits the cymbals like our drummer he broke so many of them... :lol:

Navene's grooves in Animosity were so fucking good. They already had majestic riffs, but the drums really lent them an incredibly ballsy feel, even with their terrible scooped production. He's one of the best metal drummers out there IMO.

I'm more of a George Kollias guy but this guy were impressive too.

Somehow I had a premonition this might be referring to Matt hehe. I'm recording AAL at the moment, it's good fun :)

Somehow I had a premonition this might be referring to Matt hehe. I'm recording AAL at the moment, it's good fun :)

AAL as in Animals As Leaders? wow, I didn't know the were recording a new album. must be mindblowing to work with these musicians.
will there be video footage from the recording process at some point in time?

Really cool that your doing the record Nolly. Are they using the Fractal for album tones ? I really liked the first record, I think it was very memorable stuff despite being intrumental and having kind of meh production. As much as I appreciate the second one I never found myself humming it and just couldnt absorb it like the first one.

Really cool that your doing the record Nolly. Are they using the Fractal for album tones ? I really liked the first record, I think it was very memorable stuff despite being intrumental and having kind of meh production. As much as I appreciate the second one I never found myself humming it and just couldnt absorb it like the first one.

http://nollyperiphery.tumblr.com/post/62042353232/day-1-of-animals-as-leaders-guitar-sessions

I enjoyed the first much more as well too!

For guitars I mic'd up their rigs, so that's an Axe II through a Port City Pearl amp and various Port City cabs. We then made Axe-FX tone-matches of the final tone and have tracked using that. We're also taking DIs, so the intention wasn't necessarily to commit to the tones but a week into tracking I think we are all pretty confident they'll make the mix as is.
Music-wise I think they've combined the best elements of each of the previous releases, definitely some very cool and groundbreaking stuff :)

Very cool stuff, Im excited to hear it. How did micing up those Port Citys go? Ive seen a handfull of bands switching over to these from other cabs. Did you find the low end differnce afforded by the ports to be benificial / more pronounced, did you put a mic near the ports or apply any outside of the ordinary techniques? I guess Im just curious as to your impressions, if you think these are a substantial upgrade from the Mesa oversized cabs.

The PC cabs do sound great, though there aren't any other cabs here to directly compare. They certainly project the low end very clearly when you stand in front of them. I didn't mic the port, but I did use an Audio-Technica ATM25 off-axis (usually a kick/floor tom mic) alongside the e906 to capture as much of the low end as possible, since the AAL guys tune so low. It seems to have worked really well, in fact the final tone featured more of the ATM25 than the e906.

Yeah, this guy is nuts. I caught them when they came to Perth with BTBAM, and I thought I was gonna be staring at Tosin's fingers the whole time, but his drumming totally caught me off guard, I was blown away!
He's like a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man.