Buying a cheap condenser mic...

NoSoup4you22

Keep on blorpin'
Feb 16, 2010
Minnesota, USA
www.myspace.com
Hey all, I'm looking to try recording lead vocals for one of my bands at our singer's house, rather than going in to the studio - simply for the reason that we can do as many takes as we want that way. I don't wanna go too overboard on buying gear, though. Right now I'm thinking a ST77?

Here's the singer I'll be recording (not my mix lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2qhSkfradQo#t=138s

From what I hear it's a bright mic, so I figure it would be decent on a baritone voice. If it's not good I can always use it for acoustics on my other project, right?

My other concern is the preamp - right now I've just got the preamps in my Firestudio 26x26. Will that be adequate? Should I even bother with a condenser mic? I do have a SM58 if it would work better with a cheap preamp.

Your firestudio pre's will be adequate for this. And regardless of preamp quality, a better mic is going to sound better in any case. That being said I'm sure plenty of times people use SM58's in the studio, I think I heard Bono records with a 58 somewhere...

An LDC would certainly be up to the task of these kinds of vocals though, would add some nice top end sparkle and sheen. I haven't heard the ST77, but I can recommend the AudioTechnica AT2020 which is a very good LDC for the price

What is your budget, I have a old discontinued KSM27 (now sold under the name SM27). Its a great mic, same price as the AT2020 I believe. A friend of mine with his own studio that is a manager at Guitar Center (only person from guitar center I would ever trust) said that the KSM27 would perform better for the slight extra price. Its a great mic, warm, sounds very similar to a SM57 but warmer and more compressed, the things you want out of a LDC. It has the same overall sound of the safe 57/58 and has a very flat frequency response. It works for me, but YMMV.