Making a list and checking it twice...cheap microphone?

ballstix

Jul 5, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm looking for a $100 or less microphone SPECIFICALLY recording for vocals / acoustic guitar. From what I gather those jobs are best suited for a condenser mic, so I was eyeing the Studio Projects B1 (heard good things about 'em). There's also the good old SM58, but I hear that's more typical for live situations. Any input?

rode nt-1a. i have one, sounds great on heavy vox. it's on the brighter side but i'd not neccessarily see that as a bad thing.
sm58 is always great to own though.

SM58 will do for that price, it may be a predominantly live microphone, but it can still be used for recording (see Lamb of God's Sacrament)

true, that thing is way more expensive at your side of the pond it seems.

well, then i guess b1 and sm58 are pretty much your only choices in your pricerange, and between those i'd go for the sm58 as it's a real workhorse. one advantage of this vs. a LDC is that some guys just don't perform as well when not handholding the mic, and while my LDC is ALWAYS my go-to mic for vocals it's great to have an emergency plan sort of....

If the you're tracking in a small room a 58 will almost certainly be the better choice. Condensers will pick up alot more room sound than a dynamic.

If the you're tracking in a small room a 58 will almost certainly be the better choice. Condensers will pick up alot more room sound than a dynamic.

Well, it is for a bedroom project. Is it a huge deal that I wouldn't be able to work around, or should I definitely stick with dynamic mics until I can move into a larger workspace?

Isn't the SM57 cheaper than a SM58 anyway? Why not just get that? Then you've pretty much got an industry standard mic