Buying a PC for recording

thefretwanker

New Metal Member
Ok here goes, i've got behringer automated mixing desk, and an m audio lightpipe interface, some EV overheads and a kick drum mic (ex megadeth woo) set of samson drum mics, 2 x sm57b, 1 x sm57. Our drummer has left the band i'm in, and taken the his computer that we used previoucly.

I'm looking to buy the following PC:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CNT-PC-Q9550-...:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50#ht_5268wt_1023

I know i'll need to add a pci firewire interface to it to get it working with the m audio. Will be running XP with reaper (i've got SX2 but i think that is rather dated and reaper is cheap for non commercial use) and all the many awesome freeware plugs and ampsims i've found through this forum.

The question is, if i'm mixing 12 tracks of drums, using sample replacement (ideally through drumtracker and DFH when i can afford it) on all drums, 4 tracks of guitar, one of bass, and 6 of vocals, with plugins will this setup be able to perform well?

Have you got any ideas of issues that may arise regarding the system itself, any upgrades i'd need to think about? For example if i use ASIO4ALL will i be able to mix with this on its own, or will i need a soundcard, if so what would be suitable?

Sorry about the long post but i'm about to take the plunge as the PC i'm using at the moment stutters after about 10 tracks are going simultaneously with plugins.

Also looking to get a presonus firebox for tracking guitars and vocals direct when i'm not at my rehearsal space with the interface and desk - any opinions?

Help MUCH appreciated!

Looks alright to me at least.. Processing power wont be an issue at least..

I built my last two computers myself. Did alot of research about what parts to use (lots of nagging on forums).
Its not that hard to build actually.. The parts will only fit one way..
Anyway, thats besides the point.

Using the motherboard soundcard for serious music work? I dont know.. I havent done anything like that in many years..
If you do decide to get, say, a firewire soundcard I would advice you to check up on what firewire chipset the computer has
and compare that to the ones the soundcard manufacturer recommends. Trust me, if you get this wrong you can
run into serious trouble with stability and other issues.
I remember trying to run my Saffire on a NEC chipset.......cost me a midikeyboard from all the smashing!