Buying preamp. 4 option inside help me choose

As many people here know, I recently got a PSA 1.1 (since I won't shut up about it :p )

The only thing I can say about that one is that it's not very easy to use for distorted sounds. Clean and Bass sounds are amazing, but the distorted sounds require alot of tweaking, EQing and general fiddling with to get good. It doesn't really lend itself to being used with impulses since it has a sort-of cab sim already built in. What that means is without impulses you get a very harsch, sharp sound but with impulses you get a very dark and buried sound.

However I still very much like it for my purposes, and after messing around alot with it you get to know it's strenghts and it's weaknesses, and then you can start really working with it. What I love about it is that it's really in your face, you don't have to work at all on getting the guitars to stand out in the mix, they are already there!
I don't use it with impulses anymore, instead I just work alot with the EQ to smooth out the harschness, and bring out some of the 'meat' in the sound. To me, this conserves the energy and raw attack in the sound, (the tradmark PSA sound basically!) but at the same time doesn't give you that raw preamp sound. You kind have to work WITH the built in cab sim, instead of AROUND it.

In conclusion I could say that this unit can definitely produce some killer tones! I'm not there yet myself, but I'm getting closer everyday! Sometimes I wish I would have gotten something a little more user-friendly but as I said, it kicks ass for clean and bass, and with a little work the distortion is getting there! There is something about the gritty raw-ness of the sound that I just love, but you definitely have to learn to tame the beast if you want to use it!

As many people here know, I recently got a PSA 1.1 (since I won't shut up about it :p )

The only thing I can say about that one is that it's not very easy to use for distorted sounds. Clean and Bass sounds are amazing, but the distorted sounds require alot of tweaking, EQing and general fiddling with to get good. It doesn't really lend itself to being used with impulses since it has a sort-of cab sim already built in. What that means is without impulses you get a very harsch, sharp sound but with impulses you get a very dark and buried sound.

However I still very much like it for my purposes, and after messing around alot with it you get to know it's strenghts and it's weaknesses, and then you can start really working with it. What I love about it is that it's really in your face, you don't have to work at all on getting the guitars to stand out in the mix, they are already there!
I don't use it with impulses anymore, instead I just work alot with the EQ to smooth out the harschness, and bring out some of the 'meat' in the sound. To me, this conserves the energy and raw attack in the sound, (the tradmark PSA sound basically!) but at the same time doesn't give you that raw preamp sound. You kind have to work WITH the built in cab sim, instead of AROUND it.

In conclusion I could say that this unit can definitely produce some killer tones! I'm not there yet myself, but I'm getting closer everyday! Sometimes I wish I would have gotten something a little more user-friendly but as I said, it kicks ass for clean and bass, and with a little work the distortion is getting there! There is something about the gritty raw-ness of the sound that I just love, but you definitely have to learn to tame the beast if you want to use it!

Thanks a lot for the info...is not possible to turn off the cab simulation for DI?? I really like tha preamp but... I cannot us it without impulses :erk: so I´ll have to change my first option.

Cheers.

We discussed PSA1(.1) many times here. I found that IMHO the whole problem is only the matter of finding right impulse and some eq tweaking after it. It is true that many impulses will make unusable, very dark sound with PSA1, but also there are some which sounds very good IMHO! I think, for direct recording without impulses (I´m talking about higain rhythm) PSA is not usable. I tried almost everything possible to smooth it, but without success. Now I´m working on perfect sansamp´s setting+ideal impulse+right eq (tons of midrange boost on tritone classictone). I think this is the way to great tone.

I can´t really comment on all those preamps, but i can tell u that i´m satisfeid with the engl e530 (using it with impuses) and i would recommend it to anyone. It is also relativly cheap and i think is a great value for money preamp. The best thing would be for u to try to demo every unit but i know ...maybe that´s not possible.

Check out Kazrog´s post on the e530 with impulses....i did ... and dived in.

We discussed PSA1(.1) many times here. I found that IMHO the whole problem is only the matter of finding right impulse and some eq tweaking after it. It is true that many impulses will make unusable, very dark sound with PSA1, but also there are some which sounds very good IMHO! I think, for direct recording without impulses (I´m talking about higain rhythm) PSA is not usable. I tried almost everything possible to smooth it, but without success. Now I´m working on perfect sansamp´s setting+ideal impulse+right eq (tons of midrange boost on tritone classictone). I think this is the way to great tone.

Thanks dude I have seen a few post from you about PSA1 but to be honest I dont want to tweak that much.

Out of that bunch, I'd definitely go for the e530, no contest - the JMP-1 might be good, but it's too much of an unknown variable to me, and I've heard way too many crappy things about the Lee Jackson (especially from Stee, and he's the one with the boner for the Bodom tone! :heh::lol: )

I can´t really comment on all those preamps, but i can tell u that i´m satisfeid with the engl e530 (using it with impuses) and i would recommend it to anyone. It is also relativly cheap and i think is a great value for money preamp. The best thing would be for u to try to demo every unit but i know ...maybe that´s not possible.

Check out Kazrog´s post on the e530 with impulses....i did ... and dived in.

Yep, I´m still searching for one at good price... in my local shop the price is about 700$ and I think that this is to much. I´ll keep an eye on eBay.

Thanks.

Hello again, I have just found this one http://cgi.ebay.es/Tube-preamp-valvulas-ADA-mp-2_W0QQitemZ190257309740QQihZ009QQcategoryZ23787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but...I dont know too much about that kind of preamp, is about 420$, it seems in good shape and is European voltage. Is a good option for impulses.

OK, OK... my bad!!! It was hard to find because "search" is not finding three letters words but I have found a few post about ADA mp1 and now I got a little idea...

Thanks anyway

Out of that bunch, I'd definitely go for the e530, no contest - the JMP-1 might be good, but it's too much of an unknown variable to me, and I've heard way too many crappy things about the Lee Jackson (especially from Stee, and he's the one with the boner for the Bodom tone! :heh::lol: )

Thanks dude I think that ENGL is winning the contest!!! :heh:

Hello again, I have just found this one http://cgi.ebay.es/Tube-preamp-valvulas-ADA-mp-2_W0QQitemZ190257309740QQihZ009QQcategoryZ23787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but...I dont know too much about that kind of preamp, is about 420$, it seems in good shape and is European voltage. Is a good option for impulses.

Mike AKA 006 on here has an MP-1 and MP-2 and loves them both, but I've heard VERY mixed opinions on them - you're still better off with the e530 IMO.

Mike AKA 006 on here has an MP-1 and MP-2 and loves them both, but I've heard VERY mixed opinions on them - you're still better off with the e530 IMO.

Yep youre right I have found a lot of different opinions on that pre.

My only doubt right now is that I have seen that triaxis http://cgi.ebay.es/Mesa-Boogie-Triaxis-Preamplifier_W0QQitemZ140273289407QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem on ebay and it will be about 300$ over the new ENGL and I´m not sure if is worth the money or if it will be in good shape.

Cheers.

I no longer have a boner for bodom (I can see this turning into a catchphrase or something haha). And Marcus, I never really slated the Lee Jackson, it's just that it's pretty much a one trick pony when it comes to high gain sounds. It only really nails the Bodom tone, and not much else. If you like that kinda tone, and you can find someone selling one (people generally tend to hold onto them), then it's spot on because it's cheap/doesn't take much time to dial in.

I no longer have a boner for bodom (I can see this turning into a catchphrase or something haha). And Marcus, I never really slated the Lee Jackson, it's just that it's pretty much a one trick pony when it comes to high gain sounds. It only really nails the Bodom tone, and not much else. If you like that kinda tone, and you can find someone selling one (people generally tend to hold onto them), then it's spot on because it's cheap/doesn't take much time to dial in.

Ah, right on, sorry for the misquote dude!

I LOVE the ENGL E530 for recording/impulses. It sounds ridiculously good, especially with the right tubes. It nails the "extreme metal" tone, and the cleans and crunches are surprisingly good.

The Marshall JMP-1 is also a very strong contender... It has a TON of options and variety to the tones. Tonewise, I find the Marshall to be much thicker and meatier than the ENGL, but the ENGL cuts more and is more aggressive sounding. If the ENGL preamp were a sword that slashes through mixes, the Marshall is a battle hammer that crushes them.

Battle analogies aside... Here are some clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=442291&content=music

EVO clip test is ESP Horizon with DiMarzio Evolution, Marshall JMP-1 on one side, and ENGL e530 on the other.

NS73 clip is the same rig, with different settings and a SD JB bridge pickup. The first lead is ENGL, the second is JMP-1.

I'm going to be making a lot more clips soon, once I get my firewire card...