Buying some Monitors...

NathanSoulfracture

myspace.com/soulfracture
Aug 26, 2004
www.soulfracture.co.uk
Im going to be buying an Edirol FA101 in a few weeks and im probably going to buy some monitors too, on the back of the Edirol unit is 2 outputs L+R the sockets of the outputs are the 1/4" type, just like a Guitar Amps input, now what i want to know is what kind of connectors would the monitors have? would they be the 1/4" kind so i can plug straight into the unit or would i have to buy something to plug into the Edirol then plug the monitors into that so it kind of acts like an adapter?

bit of a daft question probably, but ive never wired studio monitors before or anything so i dont want to have to waste my time buying something which wont be needed.

thanks.

Depends on if you get passive or powered monitors. If you get powered ones, use a 1/4" instrument cable. If you get passive monitors, you need an amp and therefore speaker wire, usually 1/4" but sometimes those funny looking 2 pronged ones. HTH

Self-powered = Active
Powered by external amplifier = Passive

I can't recommend the Mann PMA6 pair of monitors enough. I paid $300 AUD and I was blown away by their quality because they were matching up to the Genelecs in the store.

Yeah, I did, you probably won't have much luck finding them on the net. They're a slightly obscure new Chinese manufacturer. Your best bets are store catalogues and such. I think on the thread I created a few days ago about monitors a person managed to find them in some UK catalogue or something.

Definately a worthy find though. It's an amazing saving on a great set of speakers.

Moonlapse said:
Self-powered = Active