Byproduct - To Create Rather Than Destroy

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Byproduct - To Create Rather Than Destroy
Gomek.com - 015 - 2003
By Brandon Strader

Byproduct.jpg

Well gasp, I can't honestly say I've experienced a band with lyrical content influenced by Donnie Darko before. In this case, it's very obvious. Strangely enough, there's more to Byproduct than just cool lyrics. To Create Rather Than Destroy was a complete surprise with its shifting time signatures and jazz percussion bursts. Most surprising of all is that Byproduct are on Gomek instead of a prestigious record label!

These guys paid attention to every aspect of their presentation: The artwork is beautiful and seems unique, and the production is clear and perfectly mixed (though the snare drum tone is lame). Each song is like an adventure, and the ambient sections like the introduction, "Blueprint Of An Open Mind", and the transition between the second and third track, is very well done.

Byproduct is a band to throw some money and support at. They should definitely have label support and good distribution. Heck, I'd buy their CD. "The Collapse Of The Tangent Universe" is an epic 16-minute ambient piece that sounds like something that should have been on the Donnie Darko soundtrack. Nice stuff and great efforts, definitely check these guys out.

Official Byproduct Website
Official Gomek.com Website