C-8 Hellraiser, TSE X30, and SD AHB-1 Blackout 8-String Test Clip "Impossibly Black"

friendforafoe

FFaF Guitarist/Producer
Oct 2, 2009
Washington DC
www.facebook.com
Hey peoples,

Just got me some brand-new Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts installed in my C8 Hellraiser and I've been going ape shit over them. So much better than the 808s IMO (that's not saying the 808s are bad pups by any means, just the Blackouts are mucho better). For the clip, I wanted to show off the cleans and distortions using both the bridge and neck pups so what you're hearing is a various combination of the two. The clean barred chord/tapping progression in the intro was so fun to play, that I decided to expand on this song some more and will hopefully turn this into a Friend For A Foe song in the future.

I've also decided to step outside of my normal comfort zone and started experimenting with TSE X30 combined with Pod Farm and using different ReCabinet impulses. Needless to say, I was so impressed by responsiveness and overall tone of TSE X30 combined with ReCabinet's Tangerine impulse, that we're using for all of our stuff now (until I get an Axe FX Ultra ... anyone wanna give me a legit interest-free loan? lol). You'll also be getting a peek at our mix for the EP

Anywho, swing by http://www.soundclick.com/friendforafoe for the song "Impossibly Black"

Hope you guys like it!

Chris

This thing will be a beast once it's done ... I haven't even started writing a bridge/outro section yet and there's loads of room for some lead work, but it's getting there. With respect to the Blackouts, I love them. I swapped for some on my 7-string as well and they really are some amazing pick-ups. I'm trying to stay away from jumping on the "djent" band wagon as far as the Ibanez/Bareknuckle combo is concerned (though phenomenal) which is why I've always stuck with Schecters and Seymour Duncan pups just to show people you can make it work for the genre despite quite a few naysayers. Granted, we're not a fully "djent" band to begin with ... we got a lot of old-school metal influences rather than just "Meshuggah/Sikth with some clean singing" lol so the pickups are ballsy enough for our pure thrashier/chunky parts yet dynamic enough for our cleans

Just so everyone's aware of what I'm doing chain-wise (got a few emails and pms about this on here and other sites ... thought I'd make sure everyone had the info!):

Rhythm Guitars: Schecter C8 Hellraiser w/AHB-1 Blackouts tuned to drop Eb > Line 6 UX2 > TSE X30 > Voxengo Boogex w/ReCabinet Impulses (Tangerine 4x12 6L6 421 cone 0_5) > Voxengo Curve EQ (60-band) > KJAERHUS Audio Classic Compressor > Waves Q1-Paragraphic EQ (Low-band pass) ... and that's it! Also it's just double-tracked ... never felt the need to quad-track

Lead/Melody Guitars: Schecter C8 Hellraiser w/AHB-1 Blackouts tuned to drop Eb > Line 6 UX2 > TSE X30 > Voxengo Boogex w/ReCabinet Impulses (Tangerine 4x12 6L6 57 edge grill and cone grill respectively) > Line 6 Pod Farm 2 (just the Stereo Delay and Large Hall reverb) > Voxengo Curve EQ (60-band) > KJAERHUS Audio Classic Compressor > Waves Q1-Paragraphic EQ (Low-band pass) > Waves S1-Shuffler

Clean Guitars: Schecter C8 Hellraiser w/AHB-1 Blackouts tuned to drop Eb > Line 6 UX2 > Line 6 Pod Farm 2 (Noise Gate > Phase Eko > Line 6 Piezacoustic 2 > 4x12 Brit Celest V-30s > Compressor > Stereo Expo Chorus > Stereo Delay > Large Hall) > Voxengo Curve EQ (60-band) > KJAERHUS Audio Classic Compressor > iZotope Ozone 4

Bass: Shecter Custom Stiletto 5-string tuned to drop Eb > Line 6 UX2 > Line 6 Pod Farm 2 (Boost+EQ > Motor City > 8x10 Classic w/20 Dynamic mic > 4-band Eq) > Voxengo Curve EQ (60-band) > iZotope Ozone 4 > KJAERHUS Audio Classic Compressor

Drums: Purely Superior Drummer 2.0 Metal Foundry using internal plugins for mixing > Voxengo Curve EQ (60-band for some overall EQ to the whole kit) > Waves C4

That's it!

affter taking another listen, WOW.

the low end is tight and Intelligible, and i can hear everything really well.

sounds really full.

Adding the overall EQ to the drums helps a ton when it comes to low end distinction ... basically did a big scoop of the sub-bass levels to the entire kit and it tightens the overall Eq respective to the other instruments, then I used C4 to make it even tighter (literally just the default setting with a slight boost to the low end and high end and brought up the dBs!).

Also, at this low a tuning, the rhythm guitars and bass are very similarly EQed with the bass EQ moved a little bit to the left and some other slight variations :D

I always wondered that.

also, are you tuning the bass to Standard E? or is it tuned down to some inhumanly low E?

I was curious about that...

No sir ... it's tuned to an inhumanly low drop Eb ... having uber thick strings, raising the action a bit, making sure the intonation is spot on and raising the pickups helps a ton lol ... the Stiletto is a pretty versatile bass

when the Brice gets here tomorrow, I got work to do, i see. haha

but it'll be a fun thing to try.

but the fact that i hear something so low on my regular phone earbuds is awesome!

i tip my hat to you sir.

"it's tuned to an inhumanly low drop Eb"

i lol'ed this so much, u r being so realistic mate :) i'm listening "the silent march" right now, and it's like, hell, mate, awesome sounding! great job..

We'll be ready for shows soon, but our focus is on recording and getting merch ready (as well as taking down that god awful profile banner we have haha). We just put up an instrumental teaser of our upcoming EP on our myspace as well since there have been so many delays getting vocals finished (sickness, family matters etc). Czech it out!

http://www.myspace.com/friendforafoe2

Hope you enjoy it as well!