Caffrey on Why They Are Touring During Progpower

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Hello all. I was pretty upset that I'd be missing the current "Savatage Family" tour of Jon Oliva's Pain, Chris Caffrey's band, and Ripper's Beyond Fear thrown in for good measure. They will be in my hometown of Phila, as well as anywhere else close to me, during the PP weekend. Sav is my absolute favorite band. I wouldn't skip PP, but boy was I sorry to miss this one. I went onto Caff's mb and posted the following:

I don't want to come off as complaining or whining (which this will anyway). I know that there will always be people disappointed in tour dates, business is business, and that you can't please everyone.

However, why is this northeast tour smack dab in the middle of the ProgPower Usa concert???

Jon has been to the last two PP festivals, and WOMD last year was the best show I've seen in my 3 years of PP. You received an amazing reception last year. Why would you guys schedule a tour when some of the most hardcore fans of your music will be down at a four day festival in Atlanta?

I live in Philly, and will be in Atlanta while you guys are in Virginia, Phila, and New York. I'll be back home when you hit Atlanta. I won't skip PP, but I am devastated to be missing this tour of yours.

Obviously, you aren't changing the dates, but did it even come up that you were touring during this festival? It probably won't be that big of an impact attendance-wise, but I know there is a big cross section of PP-goers that are also huge Sav/Caff/JOP/CIIC fans.

Thanks for the answers,

Steve in Philly

Caff is great with keeping up with the online fans, and posted the following:

Hi...

We had a choice...do these few weeks of dates or none at all.

I love PPUSA...we all do, BUT you have to understand that it is an intimate festival, capacity 2,500 people.

We could not alter these shows completely because of this. The only dates that interact are NY, Va and Philly...It is hard to say how many people we will lose to PP...but if you go by percentages and realize that PP has people flying in from all around the world, we should not be hit too hard. I apologize to those who are missing us and I hope you have fun at PP...it rules...but I am sure that the ones that will be at the shows and were not planning the trek to Prog Power will be happy.

Do not fear...we will most likely hit these three markets again when we do the next leg...

Thanks for your understanding!

Chris

The link to that thread: http://www.chriscaffery.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22834&sid=3d1458c62c822ea799c5789b2728c1c6

I pretty much knew the answer before I asked the question, figuring that it was a business decision, and PP wouldn't really affect their overall attendance. I am sure there wouldn't be that many PP attendees from Philly, New York, and Virginia that would be going to the shows. I know the realities of the music biz, especially from hearing some of Glenn's stories (still waiting on the PP behind the scenes book, Glenn :loco:

Anyway, I am glad I got a response. I think my message may have come off a bit antagonistic, and I didn't mean it that way. It was great to hear from a performer that at least we were thought about before the decision was made (nice to hear whether or not that was lip service).

Steve in Philly

Hell - I'm on his crew and I'll be missing the NYC and the Allentown gigs because... I'll be in Atlanta !
For what it's worth - it wasn't lip service.. that is basically the same answer he gave me when I discussed the scheduling conflict when we were initially talking about me going on the road with them.
The original intent was top have this tour in August, but schedules/venues worked out better in Sept.

No doubt they had to squeeze this tour in before Chris started the TSO shows too. No way it could have waited until after PP.

nightwish58 said:
I, along with 3 friends of mine would have been at the NY show; for whatever that's worth.

Me too. :cry:

Dave and I were crushed to see that we were gonna have to miss Chris and Jon too. We would have gone straight from the airport to the venue to catch it like with did with Nightwish two years ago if that were possible. Hopefully, he'll schedule more dates in the area before too long.

Somewhat relatedly, me and Pellaz's friends The Last Dance are playing on the Friday of ProgPower...in Atlanta! I ordinarily wouldn't pass up a TLD show, but this might be my only chance to see the bands that are at ProgPower.

Is anyone one going to the Sept 16 th show at the Brooklyn Music Terminal with is (Lamours). It should be good for anyone that cant make Prog/Power

Caffery's response was dead on. Chris is headed into TSO rehearsals in early Oct., and JOP begins recording the new record on October 15th. We all wanted to play as many US markets as possible before buckling down for our long winters work.

This leg of the tour is basically a teaser for both the bands, and hopefully the fans. Ripper is in the studio as we speak and will finish up his album when this short run is over. So.....if all goes well, the second leg of the tour could start in February 2006 with new records by JOP and Beyond Fear! It will be far more extensive and reach alot more cities.

Bottom line...We just want to play, and sometimes timing just doesn't make it possible to hit every city the first time out. We really hope to make this package into something special for 2006. For now, we are working on making a good impression with the start of these shows and launch ourselves into a tour that will take us throughout the US and Canada next year....

There is always a master plan!

Thanks,

Chris
www.jonoliva.net