Small ProgPower 6 details released?

ASTRODOME! FOUR STAGES! 40 BANDS! MORE METAL THAN ANY HUMAN CAN ENDURE!!!

A bigger venue would be so cool... but it has to be just as cool or cooler than Earthlink. If they could double the capacity, maybe a bit wider stage, still indoors, excellent sound system (Ever notice how good the Rig is in there?) and I'd be all for it. But is there really a venue out there that could be better?

Earthlink is really a great venue and, for it's size, the best in Atlanta. The Masquerade is not as nice, along with little if any seating, but is closing next year. The Tabernacle might be another possibility. I still prefer Earthlink.

I've been to alot of concerts and different venues over the years and I have to say the set up at Earthlink is probably the best. With the stadium seating and nice sized floor area, it's just the right size for concerts. Except for the deadly walk up and down the stairs :yow:. Plus the staff is second to none!

The Tabernacle is just about the only other possibility in Atlanta for a festival of ProgPower's caliber, and for ProgPower's needs, and it's a) expensive and b) a Clear Channel venue. Specifically, a venue would need:

• to be near hotels for all the out-of-town folks (i.e., 90-95% of the attendance)
  • at least above-average concert lighting and sound
  • numerous dressing-rooms for bands -- decent amount of backstage room
  • to be near MARTA (public transit rail) for airport travellers
Etc.

When Glenn was looking for a home for ProgPower four years ago, he and I (and my roommate Tim, who knows everyone in the music scene locally) gave local venues a lot of thought. Some were the right capacity and have decent acoustics, but didn't work as far as location went and had insufficient backstage amenities (Variety Playhouse). Some, like the Masquerade, failed on almost every measure.

The only other venue in Atlanta that met those criteria is the Tabernacle, and it's basically a bit too big (well, probably) and wayyy too expensive.

As an aside, the Cotton Club (under the Tabernacle) is also closing.