Call to the guitarists.

LedByTheReaper

Bombing up Mid
Nov 30, 2004
Maidenhead, England
Hey, as many of you know I have a jackson kelly with a floyd rose, but the damn thing wont stay in tune in DropC with it locked, I know you can adjust the spring tension with a screwdriver but I'm not sure how much to turn it because it either raises it too much or does nothing atall. I'll also be picking up some thicker strings tomorrow, probably power slinkies.

How big of a pain in the ass is a floyd rose? I will be getting own soon and i have never owned one before. Is it even fucking worth getting?

War_Blade said:
How big of a pain in the ass is a floyd rose? I will be getting own soon and i have never owned one before. Is it even fucking worth getting?
I haven't touched mine for more than a year. String changes are a bit boring but you get used to it. Answering your question: imo, yes.

TheSeldomlaid said:
I prefer the hour long dicking around with strings to the constant tuning and re-tuning. Just get friends who knows about guitar stuff, and you'll be fine. I had Gavin setting up both my guitars for food, a bed, and a blowjob.
:lol:
But it's true.

Mine won't stay in tune either... It's perfectly parrallel to the body, but whenever you use it it comes up a half step like its in Eb. I have 11,50 GHS strings on...

WithoutJudgementJeremy said:
Mine won't stay in tune either... It's perfectly parrallel to the body, but whenever you use it it comes up a half step like its in Eb. I have 11,50 GHS strings on...

hmm.. how many springs are you using? also what is the guitar model and tremelo system?

the floyd rose is a pain in the ass. to sit around an fuck with the tuning for hours once you string it. im the only one of my friends that knows what im doing with it though. so im always stuck changing someones strings.

yes, but once you have it set, you dno't need to mess with it all unless you are changing tunings. Also I have lots of practice, so changing strings doesn't take much time at all anymore.

WithoutJudgementJeremy said:

you need to strech your strings better, that and check the knife edges on your floyd, if they are messed up you may have to get those fixed. also I might suggest dropping down to 10's or using 4 springs either way a properly setup floyd is a guitarist's best friend, I dont own a guitar without one, that being said I will be owning a kahler equipped guitar here pretty soon ;)

TheSeldomlaid said:
I prefer the hour long dicking around with strings to the constant tuning and re-tuning. Just get friends who knows about guitar stuff, and you'll be fine. I had Gavin setting up both my guitars for food, a bed, and a blowjob.
a high quality fixed bridge guitar will stay in tune with the best of them. but you gotta have a good nut, good tuners, and a decent bridge, and you also have to stretch your strings(but you should do that with any guitar). and fixed bridge will have better tone :Spin:

and seriously, if the OP had taken half a second to actually search, you would have gotten to this, right on the floyd rose website, for how to set up a floyd rose tremelo.

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html