Camel, King Crimson, old Genesis

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I know that Mikael claims to love these bands (as does In the Woods, who've covered King Crimson). Anyway, is any here familiar with these bands? If so, what are each like?

I've heard "Epitaph" by King Crimson & it's pretty cool. What's the rest of their output like?

And is it really true that old Genesis kicked ass?!?? After hearing their silly 80s music, I find it hard to believe.

Two Geneis albums for you sir:
Selling England By the Pound
Foxtrot

After Phil Collilns(their drummer) took over vocal duties, he gradually pushed them in a more commercial direction, which is what you heard. Peter Gabriel is the vocalist on the 2 cd's I suggested. A good album with Collins on the mic is A Trick of The Tail though, I've heard.

I've never heard Camel, and I can't get into King Crimson, even though I like their song "Fallen Angel."

I can't tell you anything about Camel - but I can recommend these 70s prog albums:

King Crimson - Red or In The Court of the Crimson King (all of them are good in their own way)...Epitaph is from the latter.
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (their 80s output is VERY different from their earlier stuff)

and some other recommendations:

Yes - Close To The Edge, Relayer
Gentle Giant - Octopus

I think King Crimson and Camel are brilliant. Haven't heard much Genesis though.

King Crimson can get quite experimental at times. Their sound is not for everyone. If you liked Epitaph, check out the rest of the album : In the Court of the Crimson King....this, together with Red are my favourite KC albums.

Camel are more simplistic in their approach. Not as dark or as technical. Straight forward prog. Pretty good too. You can see that Opeth (or at least Mikael) have drawn much inspiration from Camel. Lots of time changes and brilliant vocals. Try their second release Mirage. I still can't stop listening to it.

Besides the Genesis albums that have been mentioned, you can also check out their album "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway". Generally their early albums are a must for every prog rock fan..

Camel have release a lot of great albums. Mirage is a masterpiece, the same goes for "Snow Goose" and even their latest albums are very good...

"In The Court..." is also a brilliant album, but you may also want to check "Lark Tongues In Aspic" or some live album to feel how important King Crimson are for many of today's bands...

Concerning Camel and King Crimson I'd really advise you not to buy any of their 80s albums. In my opinion they really suck compared to the rest.
The best albums are from the 70s:
Camel: Moonmadness, Snow Goose, Mirage
King Crimson: Red (!), In the wake of poseidon, Lark's tongues in aspic

i heard camels last album(forgot name) is supposed to be real good , to be doing it all these years , u gotta tip ur hat to them.(i dont think the other prog rock bands are turning out anything good , correct me if im wrong.)

Originally posted by Alex78
Concerning ... King Crimson I'd really advise you not to buy any of their 80s albums. In my opinion they really suck compared to the rest.

I think Discipline is a good album, sure it can't compare to their 70's stuff, but a good album all the same. I never listen to Beat, but Three Of A Perfect Pair has some good things on it (mainly the title track).

But I also think that you get Red.. IMO its their best!

I never got into Genesis or Camel that much, so I have no advice.

Genesis inparticular is extremely proggy and well done. I currently have a major hard-on for Foxtrot, an amazing album. You just have to get used to the style of it and once you do then the brilliance of it (and the non-commercialized genius) jumps out.

Phil Collins is an incredible drummer.

Satori

The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change.

Ive heard camel had some pretty horrible albums in the 80s. I want to get their s/t, but ive heard mirage and snow goose are better. hmm. also, camel havent really been ''going all these years", they broke up for like 8 years and got back together.

For King Crimson definatly try In The Court of the Crimson King and Red. Also try the very underated Islands album. Discipline is great too if you think you'd like new wave-prog hybrid. They're newer stuff is real good too especialy the song "Lark's Toungues in Aspic pt. 4"

The majority of the posters in this thread have pretty much summed up what you asked, but i think ill throw my input in anyway.

Camel - the first 4 albums are solid, and a must (Self titled, moonmadness, mirage and the snowgoose)...all of these have great keys, guitar, and flute interplay, and are fantastic. moonmadness is my personal favorite, key tracks being: "song within a song"...youll notice under my UM user name...and Airborn.

Genesis - Foxtrot, selling england by the pound, the lamb lies down on broadway, and nursery cryme. All 4 of these are fantastic prog from the 70s..very pretty and very artsy.

King Crimson - Absolute necesities in a prog collection would be "Red" , and "in the court of the crimson king". I also reccomend "in the wake of poseidon", and "larks tongue in aspic". very creative and entertaining...a lot of the material is quite dark too, but KC is certainly an aquired taste id say...give the stuff mulitple listens before you make up your mind.

Some other personal favorites of mine (and Mikael of opeth) would be "Cressida"...theyre jazzy prog..they had 2 albums, very good stuff. "Gracious"...another band with 2 great albums of prog with some popish elements, but done tastefully and well...very 70s stuff there. And If you like concept albums i would really reccomend Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick album....and Yes - Close to the edge (one of my top albums of all time). Yes and Rush's 70s work is my favorite music ever at this point...i couldnt reccomend that stuff enough. Id check out Rush - 2112 and hemispheres albums.

Well, i hope this stuff helps you out...Prog is an amazing and exciting genre of music, get lost in it...and enjoy yourself. :D

I have Genesis' second lp I think. I can't remember the name of it, but it's blue and has a drawing on the front. As far as I know it was their second album. I don't think it's any good though, so I want to sell it, if anybody should be interested...?
Camel are much better though IMO. I have their first three LP's and "Mirage" is also my favorite, although "S/T" probably has the best song, "Never let go".
I also have a Wishbone Ash record called "Pilgrimage". I haven't heard it much, so I can't really comment on it, but the first sogn, "Vas dis", which is a song by Brother Jack McDuff, is a great track!!!
My favorite Yes LP is "Fragile".

Well I must say that all of those bands are quite amazing..

And I will also say that I think Discipline is my favorite King Crimson album.. it is an AMAZING progressive album and a must own for everyone.

Other then that the first four Camel discs are must owns.. and anything by Peter Gabriel-era Genesis is GREAT! I personally love "A Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"...

Well.. recently I have been getting into the mid-seventies band Hatfield and the North... they only have two albums and I highly recommend that everyone check's out both but especially the song Mumps.

Also a must have for any fan of music.. it's been called the greatest "Italian" style of prog music... Il Balleto Di Bronzo's disc YS from 1971. Very dark and good.

Brandon

I have one 80's Camel Album(Nude), and it rules! It's not the most "proggy" album as such, but it's really emotional, and is an interesting concept album. As for KC, I've only got "Three of a Perfect Pair", and I haven't given it many spins, and don't really dig it. Genesis? I only know I can't dance.....I really must hear more! haha....