Cameras between live rooms and control rooms

brianhood

No Care Ever
I was looking to get a window between my control room and tracking room, but it's looking to be out of my budget right now.

Anyone know what i could get to have a similar setup to this?

l_bf3c6ab1165b44818c8ead88af7ca944.jpg

I'd even like to be able to switch between multiple cameras on the same screen.

One of the past studios I recorded in had a setup using a Radio Shack wireless camera. It was the kind for surveillance and was cheap and no wires to run!

That doesn't look like it would produce all that great quality of an image - not like it really matters, but there's no reason not to go larger

What about Audio/Video - delay? would there be much between the DAW and the Camera / TV ?

What? No man, talkback is instant because it doesn't go through the daw. Same for the video camera, it's jacked right into the TV so there wouldn't be any delay.

We are not discussing recording video.

Yeah the image isn't all that fantastic on the cheaper servailence cameras, but we are just talking about being able to see here so I don't find it an issue. Go cheap on the cameras and go as big as you can with the screens.

it's true that the resolution isn't that great on the cheaper wireless cameras...but you're looking at $150+ for a high-res wireless camera

you can get wired high-res cams for about $80-90, but again, you'll have runn BNC wires thru the wall, whereas the wireless needs only a plug on each side of the wall and an RCA cable to have everything going

True, if price is a concern, then I guess it's not that important - still, $150 isn't that bad, and the prospect of this:

Go cheap on the cameras and go as big as you can with the screens.

makes me think that arrangement would just magnify the shittiness factor even more :lol:

What? No man, talkback is instant because it doesn't go through the daw. Same for the video camera, it's jacked right into the TV so there wouldn't be any delay.

We are not discussing recording video.

Yeah the image isn't all that fantastic on the cheaper servailence cameras, but we are just talking about being able to see here so I don't find it an issue. Go cheap on the cameras and go as big as you can with the screens.

no no i dont mean like that - for example my two tv's on the same digital satellite are around 1 second out of sync with each other in video and audio which i presume is because it compensates for the distance between both tv's, the disk, and the tv's decoding of the video - but if you say there's not any delay ill take your word for it. i just figured maybe the video processing would be a few miliseconds out of sync with the daw's audio so if you were watching him and listening to the tracking i was wondering would the video be slightly out of time or vise versa

^ Do you by any chance have a hd recorder on one tv, mine adds a delay to mine alright. If I bypass that though there is no delay at all.

I'm interested in this. Been looking into cameras but reviews are nonexistent for this kind of stuff.

no no i dont mean like that - for example my two tv's on the same digital satellite are around 1 second out of sync with each other in video and audio which i presume is because it compensates for the distance between both tv's, the disk, and the tv's decoding of the video - but if you say there's not any delay ill take your word for it. i just figured maybe the video processing would be a few miliseconds out of sync with the daw's audio so if you were watching him and listening to the tracking i was wondering would the video be slightly out of time or vise versa

cameras like that shouldn't have any delay in the transmission...it's not like there's much "processing" going on

the image is captured by the camera, beamed to the receiver on a 2.4ghz transmission(typically with a max range of 150 ft.) and then the receiver is plugged straight into the TV

I dont mind spending more on a quality camera....something that wont look terrible on a larger screen, and no noticeable delay between what i see on the screen and what i hear while tracking. I need to be able to follow what a drummer is playing by sight and sound.

My landlord is an electrician, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a wireless camera. He can do all the wiring for me.

ahh well if thats the case, i would def. go wired...there's not a lot involved with the wiring, i just didnt know if you were in a position to be drilling holes thru walls and whatnot. you also don't have to worry about interference from other shit like cordless phones, microwaves, etc. etc.

check out something like the swann bulldog cam...high-res/high-def wired cam with a heavy-duty housing for around $90

ahh well if thats the case, i would def. go wired...there's not a lot involved with the wiring, i just didnt know if you were in a position to be drilling holes thru walls and whatnot. you also don't have to worry about interference from other shit like cordless phones, microwaves, etc. etc.

check out something like the swann bulldog cam...high-res/high-def wired cam with a heavy-duty housing for around $90

What kind of tv connection will this give me? Can I basically hook it up to any type of modern tv/monitor? Will the camera wireing run straight into the tv or will I need something between the camera and tv?

What kind of tv connection will this give me? Can I basically hook it up to any type of modern tv/monitor? Will the camera wireing run straight into the tv or will I need something between the camera and tv?

Yeah you can hook it straight up to a TV, won't need anything else.

Just an FYI, this could double as a security camera for your studio when you aren't there. Just hook up a VCR or DVR, and record away.