Can a Firewire interface be ran USB via an adapter?

chase with omg

Awes0m P0ssum Pr0ducti0ns
Oct 13, 2009
Connersville, IN.
www.myspace.com
I know they have Firewire to USB adapters, I was wondering if you could run a Firewire interface into a USB port via an adapter, most computers nowadays don't have Firewire unless you either get a Mac (Pretty much a standard seeing as Apple created it) or buy a PCI card with Firewire ports. My Mac has Firewire, but my new notebook PC does not. :Smug:

What would be the point? There's a reason for them being Firewire interfaces, not USB interfaces. USB is harder on the CPU and eats broadband, although it theoretically can be faster than FW400. I'd use a PCI card.

most computers nowadays don't have Firewire unless you either get a Mac

Sadly, this isn't the case with the most affordable Macs anymore. I know it really sucks ass, but I guess Apple thought Pro for the pro's, basic for regular consumers who usually don't use FW at all

Like I said, I was just wondering. The point to run a Firewire interface via USB would be drum tracking. I was under the impression that you cannot record more than 2 simultaneous tracks via USB, only a Firewire interface can do that..like I said, this is what I've heard. Can you record more than two simultaneous inputs on USB?

yes and no on firewire's speed being faster

usb is capable of running at 480 Mbit/s where as firewire (IEEE 1394) between 400Mbit/s and 3200Mbit/s - where the speed difference comes into play is that firewire is capable of distributing data back and forth simultaneously where as usb requires little stops to transfer back and forth thus making it slower then firewire

No.
There is no USB => Firewire adapters because they are incompatible with eachother.

I bought a PCI card with 4 firewire ports on it for like $25 Canadian, not expensive at all :)

I was under the impression that you cannot record more than 2 simultaneous tracks via USB, only a Firewire interface can do that.

Not true - I have an Edirol M-16DX digital mixer/audio interface that can record 16 simultaneous tracks over a USB 2.0 interface.

And anyway, it's a bus problem, not an interface problem.
If you connect a firewire interface to an usb, via adapter, you solve nothing....you still connect to an usb bus

My main concern with this was, when recording drums, I mic up the kit (1 bass mic, 1 snare mic, 2 or 3 tom mics, and 2 overheads) makes a total of 7. I need an interface that can run USB and record each piece of the drum kit on a separate track. (kick has own track, snare, etc etc) I thought Firewire interfaces could only do that. My friend owns a Presonus unit that does this via Firewire, and he swore on the book that you CANNOT do this with a USB interface.

My main concern with this was, when recording drums, I mic up the kit (1 bass mic, 1 snare mic, 2 or 3 tom mics, and 2 overheads) makes a total of 7. I need an interface that can run USB and record each piece of the drum kit on a separate track. (kick has own track, snare, etc etc) I thought Firewire interfaces could only do that. My friend owns a Presonus unit that does this via Firewire, and he swore on the book that you CANNOT do this with a USB interface.

A cursory glance at pretty much every single online music store or catalog would show that this is not correct.

just save yourself a ton of grief and get a firepod and a firewire card. you're just gonna go nuts trying to find a cheaper work around. trust me. this is THE cheapest way to quickly get rolling recording drums, and a full band. itt'l work just how you want it to, fast. doing anything less than this (such as BSing around with USB interfaces) is just denial and will only make you go nuts, or at the very BEST, be dealing with unsolvable latency nightmares.