can any of you load slate fg-x in the mix itself w/o cpu overloading

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
After reading several forums on Mastering i decided to download the slate fg-x (respected on most forums) demo.

I tried loading slate fg-x on the master bus it took a few seconds to load and once it did, i looked at my vst/CPU performance on cubase and it increased significantly i wasnt able to play the music without it skipping and popping. CPU usage was too high.

Is this normal? Sorry i dont have my comps specs with me i just know its somewhere around 2.5+ghz AMD dual-core and has 2Gb ram.

Are these mastering plug ins only supposed to be used once your mix if finished? Or is it just SLATE FG-X that uses a lot of CPU, should i look at Voxengo Elephant instead?

yeah fg-x is pretty intensive

In ProTools, I can only use it on 1028 sample buffer with a full mix and that's if I have 1 or 2 virtual instruments like Kontakt and such. It bumps the buffer up around 30% at idle and 60ish% when everything is going.

I always do fine just using some kind of compressor into L1 or Maxim while I'm mixing just to know about where I am and then bouncing that to a session dedicated to mastering. It's cool that way because you have your latest best settings on there already and most of my mixes sound about the exact same so a user preset with a little tweaking usually works for me.

Thats weird... I just loaded four instances within the same project with no issues. Laptop here.

With the buffer up to 40ms (firepod does ms instead of samples) I have no problem running FG-X on the master buss while having an intensive mix going on 60+ tracks. I only have a 2.6ghz dual core as well. Although I am not using any virtual instruments, but if I were and needed more processing power I would just freeze them or bounce them down.

i ran it in my mix i remember, on my core2duo 2.8ghz laptop. it may be an issue of 64-bit floating point crazyness getting bottlenecked in a 32bit environment, is OP still stuck in x86 land? does that even matter since the DAW is usually a 32-bit environment anyway? can the plugin instantiate a separate 64-bit thread (or threads) if the OS can handle it?

ouch, my brain :ill: