Can anyone recommend good books / mixing sources?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, i guess im gonna have to put a bit of research into some stuff to get my work sounding a bit nicer. Can you guys recommend any good sources or books really, could really use something that covers metal!!!

Kev

Not metal, but I like basically any book in the S.M.A.R.T. series by Bill Gibson. He writes in a way that's very easy to understand and has very good advice. I've personally read:

Mixing and Mastering
Recording Great Audio tracks in a small studio
Mixers Microphones, preamps (something like that, it's about equitment)

Anyway, they're really good for beginner (maybe intermediate) and isn't genre specific.

He probobly has other good books not in the series for more advanced stuff. Good luck!

Sinister Mephisto said:
Not metal, but I like basically any book in the S.M.A.R.T. series by Bill Gibson. He writes in a way that's very easy to understand and has very good advice. I've personally read:

Mixing and Mastering
Recording Great Audio tracks in a small studio
Mixers Microphones, preamps (something like that, it's about equitment)

Anyway, they're really good for beginner (maybe intermediate) and isn't genre specific.

He probobly has other good books not in the series for more advanced stuff. Good luck!

Thnks mate!

kev said:
could really use something that covers metal!!!

Kev

FWIW a sort of mistake I made was looking for information about metal recording only--a lot of good information applies all across the board, to different types of music, including metal.

Plus I'm pretty sure you're smack dab in the middle of the best metal recording resource anywhere...

<rumor>When is Andy's book coming out? I can't wait to buy it, man that's gonna be a top seller</rumor>

Look for "The Recording Engineers Handbook" from Thomson (I think)....
I only had the time to take a short look at it, but it seems quite good....contains many different guitar micing techniques for example....and interviews with famous producers/engineers....its not really focused on metal recordings though. As I said I did not really read it yet but the first impression was promising....so check it out BEFORE buying hehe

GuitarMaestro said:
Look for "The Recording Engineers Handbook"

Yeah, a friend of mine bought it and said it's really good. I only got to glance through it but it looked pretty cool. I have the PDF of the Mixing Engineer's Handbook that was posted already (I'm not sure if you should be posting that on here since it's not exactly legal...) and I've read it. It's all right I guess, but the Recording Engineer's (same Author, Bobby Owsinski) looked really good.

Bob Katz's book "Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science" is pretty good too. A little technical in some chapters, but a good read.

Another thing: The other day I went to my local library's website and did a few searches for books on Audio and was suprised at how much they had. They even had The Recording Engineer's Handbook amoung other things. So check out you library, maybe you'll find a few good books.