Can I get away with a post about southern rock on here?

I'm definitively not on that stuff. But I believe Bryant, Sixxswine and some others may like.

Let's see if somebody else answers ;)

I like most of southern rock bands. 'Sweet Home Alabama' from Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of my favorite songs. I also like the Alman Brothers and the Doobie Brothers.

I used to listen to .38 Special and saw them live twice in 1984. Early days of MTV turned me on to them. I've seen the Allmans too. I like the genre but I never dove too deep into any of the main bands' catalogs. I like most Skynyrd stuff I've heard. I know all the bands' main tunes. I can always listen to classic rock...

the 2 heaviest southern rock bands are BLACKFOOT and MOLLY HATCHET. check them out
+1 :heh:
THese are the only 2 bands I'll actively listen to with a smattering of Gov't mule and .38 Special in between.

Don't really care for the rest.

Although I suppose the lines are also becoming blurry with some people regarding bands like Jackyl and Dangerous Toys as heavier southern rock. Who knows ... :loco:

+1 :heh:
THese are the only 2 bands I'll actively listen to with a smattering of Gov't mule and .38 Special in between.

Don't really care for the rest.

Although I suppose the lines are also becoming blurry with some people regarding bands like Jackyl and Dangerous Toys as heavier southern rock. Who knows ... :loco:

even the new molly hatchet albums are great. a few times they sound almost like judas priest with a singer from the south.

georgia satellites are a good band as well

I'm hit-and-miss with most southern rock, but I like Skynyrd and the Doobies (38 Special is southern rock?). CCR is also one of my favorite bands. Virtually every time I pick up the guitar, my go-to riff is "Green River"

I'm hit-and-miss with most southern rock, but I like Skynyrd and the Doobies (38 Special is southern rock?). CCR is also one of my favorite bands. Virtually every time I pick up the guitar, my go-to riff is "Green River"

CCR is from california and i never heard anyone call them southern rock

Govt Mule is pretty kick ass. Saw them years ago open for Big Sugar. It was a loud mother fucking show let me tell you

CCR is from california and i never heard anyone call them southern rock

Straight from Wikipedia:
Genres: Roots rock, country rock, blues rock, swamp rock, Southern rock, rock and roll... "Despite their San Francisco Bay Area origins, they positioned themselves as Southern rock stylists, singing about bayous, the Mississippi River, catfish, and other popular elements of Southern iconography."

So Green River, Born on the Bayou, Keep on Chooglin', Run Through the Jungle, or Looking Out My Back Door aren't southern rock? What makes "Southern Rock" Southern Rock then?

Straight from Wikipedia:

So Green River, Born on the Bayou, Keep on Chooglin', Run Through the Jungle, or Looking Out My Back Door aren't southern rock? What makes "Southern Rock" Southern Rock then?

well first being from the south helps make something southern rock. 2nd the band played doo wop and psychedilic sounding stuff prior to changing their name to CCR when they were known and tom fogerty and the blue velvets and then the golliwogs. they were clearly just following the back to rocks roots revival of the late 60's when the grateful dead, rolling stones and THE BAND all released roots/southern sounding albums but none of those bands are southern rock. we are just lucky as a solo artist john fogerty has stuck with what people want to hear him do

also wikipedia is the worst source of info ever unless you are just posting something like band members or number of albums

Check out Black Label Society's Hangover Music Vol. VI and even more so Zakk Wylde's solo album Book of Shadows which is southern rock with all the way.

I really like Blackfoot and Molly Hatchet. A more modern (now defunct) Southern Rockish band is Brother Cane. Great band and very unique blend of hard rock, southern rock etc. etc. Check youtube for songs from the Wishpool release. Great stuff.
Lynyrd Skynyrd is a great live band. Former Damn Yankees drummer Michael Cartellone is behind the kit for Skynyrd now. It seems odd that Skynyrd would be the type of band that you would say "damned listen to that drummer" when watching them, but Cartellone is a real monster.

Bryant