Can I mix on these? (70s JBL content)

Rogueleader

Bringer Of Rain
Oct 21, 2009
Several years ago my grandfather gave me a pair of vintage JBL L220s (http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/52.shtml) I'm not sure if these are "monitors", but it seems from the research I've done online that JBL L100s are, so I'm figuring that if these are the same series they might be too. I would rather not buy new ones since I'm going through college right now and my main non-college tuition/housing expense is guitar equipment. Anyone know if these would work? I'm very new to the recording game so I have no idea about alot of this stuff. Another concern is I've also read that it is undesirable for monitors to be near walls. In the limited space I have while I'm at home for the summer it is nearly impossible to have them anywhere else. Provided these work could someone school me (or point me to a good reference) on the proper way to position monitors in a room?

Looking forwards to asking alot more questions here!
Garrett

Several years ago my grandfather gave me a pair of vintage JBL L220s (http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/52.shtml) I'm not sure if these are "monitors", but it seems from the research I've done online that JBL L100s are, so I'm figuring that if these are the same series they might be too. I would rather not buy new ones since I'm going through college right now and my main non-college tuition/housing expense is guitar equipment. Anyone know if these would work? I'm very new to the recording game so I have no idea about alot of this stuff. Another concern is I've also read that it is undesirable for monitors to be near walls. In the limited space I have while I'm at home for the summer it is nearly impossible to have them anywhere else. Provided these work could someone school me (or point me to a good reference) on the proper way to position monitors in a room?

I am a big vintage JBL fan. I have a set of L99, L26, L18. I mix on the L26, but they are pretty scouped sounding. I use all of them as a "reference" to my normal listening material, so I know "how" they sound. As long as you use them a long time and understand the frequency curves, you can mix on just about anything (IMHO).

I do make sure I am constantly referencing other mixes that I think sound great on these speakers.