Monitors

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I need a couple good quality monitors for listening to recorded stuff, mixing and mastering. I get strange results with my desktop speakers from various CDs. I always master so that there's no "crackling" whatsoever, but some CDs I listen to have crackling and it makes me wonder what more I could actually get out of my music if I had a better set of speakers. These ones are great quality with a beefy subwoofer, but they don't seem consistent enough.

A small local studio uses a couple Mackies... They sounded pretty good to me, and the sound was pretty familiar coming out of them for my stuff. I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash. Maybe $500 total for a couple monitors. I need to upgrade from these desktop speakers, so any recommendations would be appreciated... I have an Alesis io|26 interface, and I'm assuming I would plug each speaker into the back of it... I have no experience with studio monitors. :)

The $500 is just a reference point but really...... not TOO far off from that please... x_x

I've heard HORRIBLE things about the KRK's (Moonlapse, for example) - if you want all purpose monitors for both pleasant listening and monitoring, BX8a's all the way; if you want something more useful for mixing but (as a result) less pleasant for listening, Yamaha MSP5's can't be beat for the price (though I'm curious about the KRK VXT4's...)

don't skimp out and get the bx5a's, you will need the 8's. i am in a predicament right now where my bx5a's won't produce the bass i need and the woofers just go nuts but just like bottom out. You will need the better firepower.

nooooooo anything but mackies!!
if i was installing a home cinema system, sure id put em in, but for monitoring, they are the most lying smeared scooped pieces of shit dressed up as a studio monitor ever to have offended my ears

buy some adam a7s

nooooooo anything but mackies!!
if i was installing a home cinema system, sure id put em in, but for monitoring, they are the most lying smeared scooped pieces of shit dressed up as a studio monitor ever to have offended my ears

buy some adam a7s

Must be my room then, because when I A/B them with HR824's, they don't sound extremely bad.... Yes there are better, but for the price they can't be beat.

I love my BX8As also. Got them for like $200-something new from GC! They were selling them off to make room for the new deluxes though...

~006

I'm in the same boat on this one. Though a friend of mine got some MSP5's which he wants to get rid of. So i was wondering, i just want to make killer mixes with it. Not really in for the joy of listening. So like metaltastic says... i should get the msp5's especially since they are way cheaper not being brand new and from a friend. But i was wondering. Aren't they like little bit to small for being good monitors? Should i perhaps look at the BX8a's? I'm in a large room btw :)

KRK: I've heard they are really hi-fi sounding, so not really flat. Lots of bass, considered as a dance trance hardcore monitor.
My own impression was kinda the same. noticed that they smoothen out the mix and sound already way to good then your actual mix is.

Building studio monitors is not one of the things the average Joe can do. There's a lot more to it than putting together a box with speakers.

I don´t know about your room, but one should seriously consider some acoustic treatment in order to profit from the monitors u buy...cos a very good and expensive monitor will sound like....... in an untreated room

I have the same Alesis Monitor One MK IIs (passives) and dig them, but that's the first time I've heard something good said about them. A lot of people bash them just because they are cheap.

What amp do you run them through? I have the Alesis RA150. . . Yeah, I know, I'm a cheap bastard. :oops:

Yay! Go Alesis. :) I am sure they are not the reason why my mixes suck, but I still want to try something better once in a while, hehe. . . :lol: For the money though, I agree they are gold.