Can one learn how to do metal vocals?

Jan 19, 2006
As i am aware that clean vocals can be somewhat trained but come mostly from talent, I have been wondering if Metal vocals/growls/screams/grunts is a skill that can be learned as opposed to one that comes naturally to singers.

The reason for me asking this is that i have been trying to work on my metal vocals for sometime now and while i have seen video after video of techniques to get your breathing correctly, i cant help but think that this is one of those things that people are born with. I do look at Alexi somewhat as an influence but I feel like Jari Mäenpää and Petri Lindroos have stronger lead vocals.

I understand that the ability to project one's voice is a difficult skill to learn, but it can be learned. The ability to create a good growl, on the other hand, is what catches me off guard since no matter how hard i try, i cannot harness enough phloem in my throat to be able to get a pure metal sound like that of Jari or Petri.

If anyone has any thoughts or can point me in the right direction, i would really appreciate it. If it is a skill that must be learned, i would like to learn how to create the sound without shredding my voice because that is what i feel i have been doing. I dont want to use vocal effects to enhance my voice, i would like the sound to be as organic as possible.

Thanks

You actually think all singers are just born with their abilities? Give up now if that is your additude.

You aren't just born an amazing singer. Some maybe better than others, but singing requires learning just as nuch music theory as any instrument, and needs just as much practice

Why are you even asking this here? Google it

How to sing death metal

I guess not many men could accomplish the high pitch vocals like Cradle of Filth or Hecate Enthroned. Some of it is down to personal accent, compare Laiho and Tägtgren for example. I suppose the low pitch growls demand quite a lot of skill as well. I don't think we have observatories where they teach people to sing death metal vocals, metal is still too underground. So many times I've heard people slack metal saying "...I mean, ANYBODY can do those vocals", but I've never seen anyone on youtube pull off very good metal vocals, they mostly sound just wannabe, which creates a huge facepalm. Apparently it's as punishing as guitar playing, when you do it only 90% correct, people will do nothing but dislike you. I can't help, I have neighbours, but maybe I'll start practising vocals to a pillow now lol.

I guess not many men could accomplish the high pitch vocals like Cradle of Filth or Hecate Enthroned. Some of it is down to personal accent, compare Laiho and Tägtgren for example. I suppose the low pitch growls demand quite a lot of skill as well. I don't think we have observatories where they teach people to sing death metal vocals, metal is still too underground. So many times I've heard people slack metal saying "...I mean, ANYBODY can do those vocals", but I've never seen anyone on youtube pull off very good metal vocals, they mostly sound just wannabe, which creates a huge facepalm. Apparently it's as punishing as guitar playing, when you do it only 90% correct, people will do nothing but dislike you. I can't help, I have neighbours, but maybe I'll start practising vocals to a pillow now lol.

Accent =/= pitch and vocal range.
You are born with a certain range, yes, but you can work with it to enhance that range.

Anyone CAN do rough vocals. The voice is an instrument that can be practiced. You are born with your voice, and everyone's is unique, so you will never sound exactly like whoever you are trying to be.... but you can still learn to use that style.

The majority of sub-par-growling videos on youtube has nothing to do with that. Teenagers have always sucked at everything and will always be proud of their small accomplishments.