How does one do extreme vocals?

KeithRT99

BOOSH.
Nov 8, 2005
Vallejo,CA
www.soundclick.com
I've been watching alot of you tube videos and stuff, trying to learn how to do brutal vocals/sceams/etc. None of them really told me how to do it, they did give tips about using your diaphragm to do the vocals and stuff like that, but I still don't really know how to do it.

Can someone either explain how to do it, or point me to a good video that will show me how to scream/grunt properly?

ZEN OF SCREAMING LOLLERCOASTER ROFLWAFFLE :loco:

Nah, but seriously, one big thing I noticed when trying to do vox for a cover an Opeth song ("The Grand Conjuration," to be precise :D) was that type of Mike-style growling really has to come from much deeper in the throat (like close to the top of the collar bone, and that "push from the diaphragm" schtick really is helpful here); it's hard at first, cuz it'll initially feel more natural to get the growling from higher up in the throat - the problem there, however, is it can very easily sound, well, throaty, and the growl will actually take on a pretty defined pitch to it, which is NOT a desirable sound :ill:

what marcus said
put your finger on like
the bottom of your neck, dead center, like right between your collar bones
visualise making the sound from that part of your throat
thats how i do teh deathy shit

I've been watching alot of you tube videos and stuff, trying to learn how to do brutal vocals/sceams/etc. None of them really told me how to do it, they did give tips about using your diaphragm to do the vocals and stuff like that, but I still don't really know how to do it.

Did the same research.

I think the best way to learn this vocal style is to "sing" to your favorite songs.
I started out learning Death songs.

In all seriousness, I highly recommend the Zen of Screaming. It's massively helped me and every other vocalist I know. Do the exercises every day before you do any vocals, it's the most important thing.

I've taken private lessons with a variety of teachers and I found the DVD to be more helpful. Most vocal coaches simply don't understand what we do. The heaviest music most of the coaches I went to were even aware of was Aerosmith. :lol:

In all seriousness, I highly recommend the Zen of Screaming. It's massively helped me and every other vocalist I know. Do the exercises every day before you do any vocals, it's the most important thing.

I've taken private lessons with a variety of teachers and I found the DVD to be more helpful. Most vocal coaches simply don't understand what we do. The heaviest music most of the coaches I went to were even aware of was Aerosmith.

Yeah, listen to this guy. Far better on record than any of those giving Youtube 'lessons', and (shocking, I know, given how frequently I like *anything*) although the ZoS stuff has far too much 'motivational' nonsense for my tastes I've gotten more than my money's worth out of the small parts of those DVDs that applied well to me... especially as someone whose range is the lower half of a piano and who doesn't want to fight what his voice naturally does best.

Jeff

I've been screwing around with it abit, but it's not quite there yet. I've kinda found the sweet spot where it doesn't really hurt, but it does slightly make my voice gravelly. I'm not really getting alot of projection though, i assume that's the diaphragm technique that I need to improve upon.

I was singing along to some suffocation and opeth in the car. I'm finding it easier to do that style of low gutter vocals, but i'm still not there. Strangely I find my clean singing to be abit easier after i do the brutals.

what marcus said
put your finger on like
the bottom of your neck, dead center, like right between your collar bones
visualise making the sound from that part of your throat
thats how i do teh deathy shit

What other sounds does one make that come from that area? I don't know how to start using a muscle I've never (or rarely) used before, and I'm sure thats the problem for most.

As for the 'vocal fry' technique, I think I know how to do that, but I can't get a proper scream out of it yet, but I can get a really nice rasp. If you imagine the 'ughhhhhh' sound really soft that you can make effortlessly, or the grumbly sound that you get when you try to sing too low, you take that and pitch it higher. Don't push too hard or the raspiness goes away tho. However my voice hurts when I do this... then again I completely lose my voice after an hour of singing. My voice (/technique) sucks balls.

It's not a muscle... the muscle involved is the diaphragm, the same one used to move air in and out of your lungs. What is usually described as the 'growly part' is the tissue covering the vocal folds (called the 'false folds' or 'false vocal folds' in these discussions); his visualization just forces you to be more aware of your breathing and put those false folds in a position where they can resonate and the 'proper' vocal folds will be safe, as far as I know.

Jeff

Isn't there like a VST that will do the growling for you? Haha, just kidding.

I know what you're saying... tried to learn growling too but I decided to give it up. I just couldn't figure it out and tube videos don't really help much.

I've been watching Zen of Screaming as it was recommended (and bashed too) in the previous thread about growls and screams and it's been really helpful. Too bad I don't really get chances to practice very often, I hate doing those manalah manalay meeneelee etc. things when there's other people around :lol: but so far, I've got the breathing technique working without thinking about it, and it's made a noticeable difference already.