Not Again: Growling Vocals.

I ordered Melissa's DVD and I will post back here with my thoughts. I'm not an "emo" guy by any stretch of the imagination, in fact I want to rid the world of emo with epic, arctic blasts of true, frosty metal! MANOWAR!!! KILL WITH POWER!!! DIE!! DIE!! Moving right along...

I will report back here with my thoughts on Melissa's DVD, and later on if I feel it has gotten me to a better place with my growling, where I feel that I can be more consistent with it and avoid pain.

I also just ordered the DVD! I think it looks cool, and it's not that expensive... so even if it really sux, you havn't waysted a fortune. But it seems real cool.

I would like to know if this DVD from Melissa is worth it (not in monetary terms, but in valuable informations about)!!!

Don't get me wrong but at 90% of times every screamer/growler/powerful vocalist (excluding all operatic singers and really clean melodic AOR singers) go to this 'gurus of breathing and singing great' only to repair and reduce the damages already done. Every greatest screamer went to this teachers to endure the extensive and gruesome world tours, to repair nodes and strained throats and to be able to speak when they will stop the intense professional activity.

No one of them learned the basics for screaming and growling.

C'mon guys let's make a comparison between running with your legs and screaming. If you do 100 meters without any training the day after you will suffer a general pain in all the muscles, courtesy of the micro-damages to the fibres of the tissue of your muscles. The same for voice, you overdrive it without training and the day after you will speak... ...like Phil Anselmo does currently everyday speaking at a normal conversation (check the interviews in the first Superjoint DVD, that voice i'm referring to), due to the micro damaging to the vocal cords.

With this methods you can improve SERIOUSLY your stamina and power of blowing air through the vocal cords, but the tone and raspiness and that quid no one know exactly how to obtain is a nature gift.

Sorry if I sound naive, I'm more than ready to change idea with some real proof!!! :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:

Later!

So today the DVD/CD package arrived, and I've gone through the DVD once and some of the CD, and I have this to say...

I think it's extremely well-done, and Melissa addresses a lot of things that vocal coaches I've had in the past were confused about. The insight and attention to detail that she brings is unlike anything I've encountered previously. I am excited to start practicing the warm-ups every day, and already, her techniques have gotten me to notice ways to direct my voice that have eluded me in the past.

I'd reccomend this DVD/CD package to anyone who sings, whether it's metal or any other style of music, ESPECIALLY if you do any touring and/or recording, and even if you're just a backup vocalist and not the lead singer. I'm very confident that if I follow Melissa's advice, I won't blow my voice out again, and that the recording process will go much faster. My advice to anyone who doesn't have this yet - 1) order it and 2) don't push your voice, and DO relax!

Kazrog said:
So today the DVD/CD package arrived, and I've gone through the DVD once and some of the CD, and I have this to say...

I think it's extremely well-done, and Melissa addresses a lot of things that vocal coaches I've had in the past were confused about. The insight and attention to detail that she brings is unlike anything I've encountered previously. I am excited to start practicing the warm-ups every day, and already, her techniques have gotten me to notice ways to direct my voice that have eluded me in the past.

I'd reccomend this DVD/CD package to anyone who sings, whether it's metal or any other style of music, ESPECIALLY if you do any touring and/or recording, and even if you're just a backup vocalist and not the lead singer. I'm very confident that if I follow Melissa's advice, I won't blow my voice out again, and that the recording process will go much faster. My advice to anyone who doesn't have this yet - 1) order it and 2) don't push your voice, and DO relax!
Any 'eye-opening' information in this DVD/CD package?

Information that could make one go 'ahh so THATS how growlers like Mike from Opeth get to sound that good' ?

Information that could make one go 'ahh so THATS how growlers like Mike from Opeth get to sound that good' ?

Told ya, Nitro!

It's all about stamina and resistance and blowin'air through the vocal cords.

You have the growl or you don't.

Simple as that. :D

Nitronium Blood said:

Yes and no. The point of vocal instruction isn't to sound like somebody else. We're all different. Where I think this video really helps is in allowing you to learn proper technique without having to consciously think about it. Anyone who spends any time messing around can growl, but can you produce a good sound without hurting yourself? It's hard to walk this path without a lot of trial and error (mostly error in my experience) and the same is true for adding grit/harmonic overtones to your clean vocals, and even for pure, clean singing.

The "eye-opening" information in this video, to me, is in learning proper breathing technique so that you don't blow your voice out. She also explains the technique behind growling in a great way that serves as a good springboard for perfecting your own sound, "pitching" your growl to fit the musical context, etc.

Fabbio said:
Told ya, Nitro!

It's all about stamina and resistance and blowin'air through the vocal cords.

You have the growl or you don't.

Simple as that. :D

Stamina comes from proper breathing technique, as well as taking good care of your body. If you push too much air through your vocal cords, you will do damage to them over time. Controlled breathing technique allows you to build the resistance in such a way that you don't hurt yourself or cause irreperable damage to your voice.

I asked the Demilich Vocalist for how he does his style and this what he could say

"Thanks, for both praising and and stopping it rapidly.

About the vocals. It's not a secret, but "they" may have to kill you if I tell you. So, here we go: I didn't practice or decide to do it that way, it just happened. I think I didn't understand how grownling should have been done, and chose a completely different technique, which seems to be more natural to me, though.

I tilt my head a bit downwards (ie. jaw towards the chest), open up my throat as if I was vomiting, and force the sound out of the stomach, or at least it feels so. Obviously I blow the air from the lungs via the lower throat.

Then again, do what's natural to you. That leads to the best sound you'll get out of your body."

I shall also check that DVD out too:) I can really low tones but I cant get any balls in it:( my main problem is that Im really quiet when Im speaking and actually have difficulty yelling. Maybe this will stop when I grow up lol( I am 14)

Trylakos said:
I shall also check that DVD out too:) I can really low tones but I cant get any balls in it:( my main problem is that Im really quiet when Im speaking and actually have difficulty yelling. Maybe this will stop when I grow up lol( I am 14)

Good vocals don't have to be very loud. Most of the best vocalists are no louder than regular speech. The most important thing is to avoid hurting yourself.

Kazrog said:
Good vocals don't have to be very loud. Most of the best vocalists are no louder than regular speech. The most important thing is to avoid hurting yourself.
yeah, I can do BM decently but for those DM low grunts I can only get the pitch and no rasp or anything, its like a whisper