Growling

Originally posted by Rusty
This is what I completely fail to understand - I just don't get how to growl from the gut... :confused: is there ANY chance of a better/fuller/more detailed explanation??

Haha....well I'll try. When I used to play in this garage band in high school it's what I did to sound like my voice was deeper than it really is. Basically, I would just growl and try to force the sound up from my stomach. Very focreful, and powerful, but it never made my throat sore or uncomfortable and it was just really cool sounding. I have tried the raspy growl using my throat, but it made me lose my voice and just strained the hell out of my chords. Best advice I can give is just grab a mic and try to push the sound up through your stomach. Given some practice you will come around and your throat will thank you for it.

Originally posted by bleedingfilth
Yea, I'm having the same problem as Moonlapse. I can growl in a whispering tone, and it sounds great. If I try to get above that it just sounds like a big burp to me. :lol: I guess I should keep practicing. That'd kick ass if I could growl and continue to use my operetic clean vocals as well :D I wish I were a woman of many talents. :p

Gonna give nightwish a run for their money, eh? :lol:

:lol: Naa I don't think so. Even if I were to do that, my sound would be more on the Tristania side :p. Why copy any female fronted band out there. I have my own sound. No need for another Nightwish IMO :)

Aww man, anyone can make Satan sound like a nerdy 5 year old squirt when making growly noises at whisper volume. I can't growl myself, but I feel as if there is importance in attaining a balance between knowing how to flex your vocal chords (your false chords) in the right way to achieve the correct tone, and then using your diaphragm/gut to propel air through your throat in order to make the sound. of course, push too much, and you'll injure your throat over time, don't push out enough air, and you don't get the sound. I might be speaking bullshit. =)

Wow i can actually post something useful... Growling is not screaming... Its using your gut(which has been said a lot)... Im trying to think of a way to relate it to something else... The closest thing would be clearing your throat... It makes weird noises and crap, and just push from your gut and hold it. That sounds so retarded. But thats all i can relate it to. Using your gut is done by pushing out. Like if you would be going to the bathroom and squeezing, its just like that, but just focus on your belly. After a lot of practice you will just gradually get better.

Heres the first growl thing ive ever recorded
(copy and paste it into your browser)
http://quigonj.tripod.com/formydemons2.mp3

heres one of my more recent/better ones
http://pokemon__center.tripod.com/into_the_flame.mp3

!!!!! Evil man! That sounds great! Though I thought the first sample sounded more evil... good advice though, I can feel that that would work after practice. Well put!

Yeah, I don't growl that much... but I think I want to start back on it. One thing that helps is to watch Mikael do it. You can tell that he's not straining his throat at all. When you do it, just try to open your mouth real big and put your lips kind of close together. Make sure your throat is open. And then, just try to growl without closing up your throat (or you'll be fucked).

Now... my only real problem is going up high. I try to keep my throat open... but I just can't go high. Maybe if I go back to practicing I'll be able to do it in a year or so.

<joke>No No No, you guys have it all wrong! Pretend like you are hawkin a lougy, and then sing.</joke> HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm actualy trying to learn this growling business, and it is obvious im doing it all wrong...because I have been pretending like im dying...lol blah blah, I'd just like to thank you guys for all the great info, I just hope I can figure it out :)

Oh... I noticed something the other day. Go take a shower and come back and listen to Opeth. I remember the night before that and I was trying to growl along to The Drapery Falls and I would have problems of where my voice would fall out... but then you go to The Leper Affinity and it's so much easier! Conclusion: Drink warm liquids to open your throat up and get angry! There seemed to me a lot more emotion in The Leper Affinity and it was easier to go along. Just a thought.

Originally posted by EyeAm
Oh... I noticed something the other day. Go take a shower and come back and listen to Opeth. I remember the night before that and I was trying to growl along to The Drapery Falls and I would have problems of where my voice would fall out... but then you go to The Leper Affinity and it's so much easier! Conclusion: Drink warm liquids to open your throat up and get angry! There seemed to me a lot more emotion in The Leper Affinity and it was easier to go along. Just a thought.

w00t?! thouest false! Thy Drapery Falleth is thy most emotional songeth! All elseth is blasphemousethness!

Yes, hydration is important!