Question About Growling

Muffin_Monster2

New Metal Member
Feb 23, 2010
Hey guys i just had a quick question about growls, i have an extremely deep voice and i can growl (in my opinion) quite well, but i was wondering if sometimes my vocal chords are suppose to hurt? I understand you are suppose to breathe through your diaphram, stand up straight, etc and to not growl through your vocal chords, so i've been doing these things to improve growling but my vocal chords still hurt sometimes after awhile. Any thoughts? Any responses would be great, Thank you!

Just keep working on your technique dude and you should be able to find away around it. Im not exactly sure how to do it properly myself but i know people that can do it so well with out getting any pain after concerts and the only advice they give me is to keep working on it.

One guy said you growl from your stomach but i cant figure out how to interpret it... If you can, then good luck lol.

I've been practicing death metal vocals for years and I still give myself a sore throat from growling every now and then, but I don't think I've damaged my vocal chords at all.

They will hurt everynow and then. Just be sure to drink room temp water while practicing and use the muscles in your diaphram to control the power and volume. I find things like colds etc effect how long i can do vocals for also.

Pain is never good. I honestly can't remember a time when it hurt... You want to start slow and build yourself up to going full volume over long periods of time. It's taken me 10 years to get where I am now and I keep pushing further. Lots of practice in small doses at the beginning, 5 minutes here and there throughout the day 1/2 volume until doing that doesn't hurt then build it up to full volume, then add the time. Only doing exhales will help building up your stamina as they require more effort and energy. That and inhales are gay as fuck haha You can check out my bands for reference and to know I'm not just talking out of my ass like a lot of guys do. http://www.myspace.com/yildunofficial http://www.myspace.com/autolatry