Growling

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Alright I've always had a problem with growling... I can never seem to do it above like whisper-volume... when you growl, do you use your actual voice?? like vocal chords?? What do you need to strain to do it, how do you do it etc.??? I've just had a problem with this for a while and any advice would be helpful.

Keep practicing. I had to practice for about a year before I could get it right.

It's hard to practice when you don't know if you're even doing it right. My "growl" sounds more like a demonic voice from one of the Evil Dead deadites than anything with power behind it. I can work on something like Angel Gossow but nothing close to Mike's growl.

It sounds kind of obvious, but you just scream. Scream with a low tone (or higher depending on what you want to sound like...), and there you go. Your throat will hurt like hell for awhile until you get used to it, so be careful. After awhile, you won't have to scream to do it, and your throat will be conditioned to be able to take that kind of abuse for a much longer amount of time.

(Screaming/growling is said to be about the worst thing possible to do to your singing voice, so big props to singers like Mr. Akerfeldt who can consistently combine the two styles!!!)

It's not really about screaming unless u want pitch n shit.

I sound like fucking low, exactly how cynical bastard says he sounds :)

I can do demon of the fall orright :D.

You need to use your diaphragm to change pitch, and shit u need to use it to do it fullstop, ull fuck your vocal cords up if u use your throat, it comes from the gut.

Took me like a week to get the hang of, it's superbly fun :)

The way Mike growls doesn't sound like it hurts... I mean the man has consitently growled then gone back to singing and his voice is fine, I really doubt he uses his vocal chords to any great extent while growling, or else they'd be fucked over from years of abuse.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
The way Mike growls doesn't sound like it hurts... I mean the man has consitently growled then gone back to singing and his voice is fine, I really doubt he uses his vocal chords to any great extent while growling, or else they'd be fucked over from years of abuse.
He uses his false vocal chords.

There's a thread on this in the general music discussion forum (or maybe the musician's forum), and it's really good, talks about different techniques to keep your throat from getting sore. I growl pretty well, like a higher-register Chris Barnes (not nearly as good, mind you ;) ) and my throat doesn't get too sore. I've never growled for longer than 10 minutes though. :)

Alright I've always had a problem with growling... I can never seem to do it above like whisper-volume... when you growl, do you use your actual voice?? like vocal chords?? What do you need to strain to do it, how do you do it etc.??? I've just had a problem with this for a while and any advice would be helpful.

Growl from your gut if that makes any sense. Won't strain your throat as much and it will sound evil as hell.

and all that smoking and drinking?...still such an amazing voice!

Get one of the live vids of Opeth, he doesn't growl from the throat, it's a more air-y or raspy growl. The real low stuff is really only on the albums, where there's a chance to redo everything, do different takes, mess with effects. Uses lotsa reverb.

Originally posted by godmachine12
Growl from your gut if that makes any sense.
This is what I completely fail to understand - I just don't get how to growl from the gut... :confused: is there ANY chance of a better/fuller/more detailed explanation??

In martial arts, sometimes you'll here of a spot called the "Hara"
located about 2 inches below the belly-button, I've read that when you "Yell" for power or chi, it should be done from there.
I know it all sounds funny, but i think its the same thing with "Growling." You can get a deeper, bellow, rather than a scratchy sound that makes your throat hurt. So, try to focus on your "hara" :lol: that's how you can use your gut.
I'm by no means an expert singer or anything, but that works for me (not that i really have a place to yell or growl loud, so i dont do it) but hope this helps.

Yea, I'm having the same problem as Moonlapse. I can growl in a whispering tone, and it sounds great. If I try to get above that it just sounds like a big burp to me. :lol: I guess I should keep practicing. That'd kick ass if I could growl and continue to use my operetic clean vocals as well :D I wish I were a woman of many talents. :p