Not Again: Growling Vocals.

Lee_B said:
Mike from Opeth growls almost at regular speaking volume. He also uses his stomach rather than his throat.

I fucking KNEW it. I always feel like I'm straining my jaw when I do it that way though, it's a bitch to get right and never sounds as natural coming from me. I can do it though, I just always have to do more takes to get the proper expression. Very handy for sustained growls.

I'm gonna do all of you a big favor now and post a little guide I wrote up a while ago. The biggest problem with threads like this is no one ever explains how to get that feel in your throat- they just expect you to know and then people end up killing their voices. Everytime I've posted this people have been all "holy shit that WORKED!!!" and once you've gotten the feel for this then you can practice and get good at it instead of practicing damaging your throat.

"The key is to feel the gurgle in your throat, as this is what makes the sound. The proper term, is "vocal fry." Yknow that rasp you hear in metallica style singing?(think sandman) THAT'S vocal fry.

Start by talking like you've just gotten up in that morning, with a grog in your throat. Don't push much air out. Just groan, or say "oh I don't wanna get up." or something. Then use that to sing a bit. Don't push the air while your singing. The force of the air creates a clean tone, so by lightening this you make a pleasant rasp. You should really be able to get a feel for hard rock singing in a few minutes, I'm not saying you'll be in tune- but the rasp should now be there. If you do plan on singing this way, be sure to practice clean as well since many singers can't sing a clean tone if they sing this way too often. The growl won't affect that though.

Alright, here we go- take that rasp and drop down a few octaves in your voice. This should REALLY give you a feel for the growl. From here, you should be able to feel it in your throat, and learn how to control it. If at first you can't do it automatically just refer back to "oh I don't wanna get up" with very little air, and drop right back into that growl. Practice changing tones, and experimenting with octaves. Find what's comfortable for you and make use of it. It's been my experience that people tend to be comfortable with some ranges and uncomfortable with others. I know my black metal scream is pretty crazy sounding, and it's consistent in that range. My younger brother, who I taught to scream, has a low brutal death growl and his voice is higher then mine in real life- so go figure. The point is that once you feel that gurgle you should be able to experiment and feel whats comfortable. Make sure to try switching to a high(black metal sounding) octave while maintaining the rasp at least once to see if you like it. Practice when you can and soon you will be able to go longer without dryness in the throat. You should IMMEDIATELY notice that you will no longer be sore back there like it can get if you just scream as loud as you can. As long as you don't push too much air(to the point where the tone almost becomes clean) it's unlikely that you'll damage your vocal chords. In fact, it should be no problem to switch from a growl to clean singing. Practice makes perfect though, so if it's possible- try recording yourself as well, and adjusting it to the way you would like it to sound.

Remember, don't push your throat too hard. It won't make it any heavier sounding and you could hurt yourself."

I hope that helps guys, just please don't rip the crap out of your throats. Here's a clip of me to show how I sound after a little over a year of knowing how to do this and practicing on and off. It's a shit song, but a decent vocal sound. Also(as if you can't hear it :p) I double tracked everything but the huge shriek near the beginning.

http://elboardo.com/amir/cheddardeath.mp3

I got the DVD today and I think it was great! Lots of stuff I knew, but also lots of usefull tips I didn't have a clue about. I would say that it's worth the money, I mean what would lessons coast you? A hell of a lot more.

Could any of you rip it and place it online for download, perhaps bittorrent? They don't have a PAL version of the DVD and ordering it from overseas is like..a monetary tragedy and a long wait, and not very flexible since I can't see NTSC (america & canada format) DVDs

morningstar said:
Could any of you rip it and place it online for download, perhaps bittorrent? They don't have a PAL version of the DVD and ordering it from overseas is like..a monetary tragedy and a long wait, and not very flexible since I can't see NTSC (america & canada format) DVDs

That kind of stuff ain't fair man :OMG:

What isn't fair? the non existing pal version of the DVD or me asking for someone to rip and put it online? either way, I would like to see the DVD and buy it, but I think a 25$USD dvd ordered from america would cost about 50$USD - 75$USD when it arrives here, including ports and customs' taxes and the price tag, plus the amount of time while our customs check for eventual anthrax/heroin/whatsoever inside the pack. As for the rip, I'm not pretending to make money of it, I just wanted to see it since I won't buy a DVD or any equipment that doesn't stand for the european standards (nothing against america(ns), seriously)

Come on man. I don't buy it. I am sure you can get or already have a DVD driver for your computer and you can play it with those. Plus shipping and tax is not all that much too Europe. I know it, I regularly sell items to Europe on ebay. So stop bitching, respect the people who make the effort to make this DVD and fucking buy it!

morningstar said:
it's not cool to ask anything like this at all... i understand you want a PAL version... write to her and ask her what you can do to get a copy... asking publically to get someone to rip it for you is just not cool at all.

morningstar said:
What isn't fair? the non existing pal version of the DVD or me asking for someone to rip and put it online? either way, I would like to see the DVD and buy it, but I think a 25$USD dvd ordered from america would cost about 50$USD - 75$USD when it arrives here, including ports and customs' taxes and the price tag, plus the amount of time while our customs check for eventual anthrax/heroin/whatsoever inside the pack. As for the rip, I'm not pretending to make money of it, I just wanted to see it since I won't buy a DVD or any equipment that doesn't stand for the european standards (nothing against america(ns), seriously)

So?! I live in Sweden, we have PAL. My DVD-player supports both PAL and NTSC, otherwise you can launch it through your computer. I ordered it last week, and it took about 4 days, from the time I ordered to I had it in my mailbox. And the shipping wasn't expensive either... so stop crying man. :loco:

wicked_s said:
So?! I live in Sweden, we have PAL. My DVD-player supports both PAL and NTSC, otherwise you can launch it through your computer. I ordered it last week, and it took about 4 days, from the time I ordered to I had it in my mailbox. And the shipping wasn't expensive either... so stop crying man. :loco:

It's good to know that orders are dealt with swiftly, I might just get the DVD now.

Comandante: neither of my players have support to NTSC format, is there a software hack around it?

James Murphy: Point taken, will do so.

wicked_s: How much did you pay and how long did it take to arrive?

morningstar said:
wicked_s: How much did you pay and how long did it take to arrive?

I ordered it last friday and I recieved it today. Thats four "work-days". I paid $47.99. Price includes shipping.

I have ordered PAL DVDs from Europe before (Dimmu Borgir, etc.) and have converted them to NTSC on my computer. This is perfectly legal to do. :)

But James is right... piracy is bad uhmkay!

i ordered the dvd from mellissa's site, 25 dollars plus another 20 something for shipping, so worked out at near 50 dollars, but in real terms thats only around £25, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than lessons. It came in about 2 or three days (US to UK) and is very professional. I also find it hard to believe that any DVD player in the last 5 years doesn't support both PAL and NTSC format, but there ya go.