recording vocals

Night crawler

Metal fan
Feb 28, 2005
DK
How many tracks do you guys use for vocals?How do you pan them?Do you have any tips for using reverb and delay?I know these questions sound alittle naive, but i could really use some help to get some decent vocal recordings.

Well I haven't had much experience mixing vocals, but as a general rule of thumb, I try to make every adjustment I make to them subtle. The verb will only add texture and won't be downright audible unless the track itself calls for it. Same deal with the delay... just thickening everything up - the only time it'll be obvious is to punctuate a really big line, where I'll automate and crank it for that brief moment.

I think doubletracking vocals is generally cool, particularily for a growler in metal - you can get alot of different ranges in multiple takes and once you sum them, he'll sound like satan himself. You can do slight panning left and right, same goes for harmonies, or just leave it centered, whatever.

And if he can't sing in tune to save his life.... bandpass on the mids, boost whichever mid frequency you want with a shitload of gain (prefferably one that corresponds to the key the song is in though), then say 'look man, it sounds like a telephone, isn't it amazing!!??' and whilst the vocalist is digesting the wonders of equalization, you can pat yourself on the back for salvaging another mediocre singer \m/

How do you pan double tracked vocals?One guy i know have a main vocal track panned center and then one track in each side panned 100% left and right,what areyour opinions on that approach?

I don't see a problem with that, but I'm not a very big fan of 100% panning for vocal tracks. You want the vocal to sound centered, so it's probably good not to deviate too much. Maybe 50%L-C-50%R would be a good approach?

The compression level. On most comps is a meter or a LED bargraph called 'gain reducing'. If it shows -3dB according to a adjusted ratio of about 3:1, thats enough.
Understand?
But try it for your own taste. If the voice starts 'pumping' or sounds to much 'ducking' then the compression was way to much.

Frank'nfurter said:
The compression level. On most comps is a meter or a LED bargraph called 'gain reducing'. If it shows -3dB according to a adjusted ratio of about 3:1, thats enough.
Understand?
But try it for your own taste. If the voice starts 'pumping' or sounds to much 'ducking' then the compression was way to much.
Thank you very much kind sir :)