So i want to learn clean singing......

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
I have never been too much of a fan, but then i heard these guys

I am going through a weird phase were i dont really care too much for metal right now. Its a very weird change of pace cause ive been a metal head for as long as i can remember. I want to learn standard clean vocals now and i want to know the best way to learn. Im good with making melodys and im good at death metal vocals, its just hitting all the right notes is my problem.

Would it be best to just start doing cover songs? Practicing notes along with a keyboard? I tried google but i cant get anything but LEARN SO SING PERFECTLY IN 3 EASY STEPS TRY FOR FREE HERE!

Thanks dudes

Edit: Just so you guys know, i can hit notes and i know how to make it sound ok, i just need to know practice routines etc.

And obviously not death metal cleans like iced earth lol. Watch youtube video for an idea

Last edited by a moderator:
You should check singing succes youtube channel. They have some cool free tips coming out every week.

And if you really want to know how to sing go and buy brett manning's singing succes dvd set. I've read it's one of the best ones out there.

Anyways thats my two cents.

I say find a good teacher. Will help 1000 times more than any video (youtube or DVD). There's a lot of breathing technique, and that's a thing only a good vocal coach/teacher standing near to you would recognize. Frankly all good singers I know had years of lessons with a good vocal coach. The rest is OK at most but you'll always hear it, even with talented people (just my personal opinion of course).

I say find a good teacher. Will help 1000 times more than any video (youtube or DVD). There's a lot of breathing technique, and that's a thing only a good vocal coach/teacher standing near to you would recognize. Frankly all good singers I know had years of lessons with a good vocal coach. The rest is OK at most but you'll always hear it, even with talented people (just my personal opinion of course).

+1

vocal coach is a must

hitting the right notes will be the least of your concern (and will come eventually as a byproduct of practicing different stuff), singing is a very demanding art

try and mimic the voice you like the most... then later, find a vocal coach that can help with all the technical stuff.

that is how everyone actually learns to sing... unless you are just a natural.

it's also worth mentioning that most vocal coaches teach the theory and discipline of breath control (among other control exercises). i think it's obvious that what you are attracted to most of all about this performance is the tonal quality of the vocals.

that, my friend... cannot be taught. (but, i'm sure you know that).

I have little doubt that teachers help but I say just sing. Few of the pros I know have taken more than a handfull of formal lessons. Note, I'm not discouraging training but I don't believe it's an imperative.

This is absolutely 100% true.

But I believe some people can pick out the faults themselves if they just pay enough attention and actually listen what's happening in the demonstration. That might be a narrow group of people but there's still some great exercises shown.

The breathing technique is definately something I have problems with and could use someone to poke me with a stick when I do it incorrectly.

Anyways.. DVD's and videos might be a huge help to someone and they might not help at all with some cases. It's definately easier to have someone tell you what you're doing wrong than to figure out the faults yourself.

I'd say start singing in a comfortable natural range, which is generally around the same pitch as you naturally speak. Work your way outward range-wise from there.

thanks dudes. Like i said I have been a death metal vocalist for a while now. I have no problems with breath control or anything of that sort. Im gonna look into some things and just start practicing now. One thing i cant really do is vibrato well (obviously none while doing Beneath The Massacre Covers lol). Im gonna find a coach too but in the mean time im just gonna do as much research as i can and just start doing covers. Thanks again!

I wasted 5 years thinking I could learn to sing by watching videos and reading and even tried local teachers. Nope didnt do shite for me. So I started skype lessons with real renowned singers/instructors and wow I finally am over my bridge and beginning to access head voice. It really comes down to breath support, thyroid tilt, and not pushing air which I did for years and possibly caused my one stiff vocal fold.

Well i got the quite opposite experiance. Have worked with 3 vocal coaches for about 5-6years on and off. Got some decent results but nothing mind blowing. Still struggled with strain, and my voice getting tired.

Picked up mastering the mix by Brett Manning last year. Added almost an octave of recordable range, try to beat that :D. Although i was quite experienced before thanks to vocal coaches and has got me good analyze ability. but Brett managed to unveil the the mysteries of warminbg up the voice properly (and i mean getting into some serious natural compression) and hitting some really high notes on pitch. i don't know if you can get that results if you're a noob at singing, but working with Singing success and have a good vocal coach can get you great results.

Not many vocal coaches has the approach to men as they have to females. Brett works with headvoice which some vocal coaches say that men don't have, the insist to call it falsetto which is kind of a weak not controlled headvoice. The key is to learn to blend headvoice with chest as you climb higher in your range. Learning to control the second bridge around A Ab B is crucial to sing high. Brett gets deep into that with his programs, i can't praise the guy enough. Such an amazing vocal coach!!!

Check these, wich i would not be able to record a year ago by FAAAAAR:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12967127/underaglassmoon_christian.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12967127/midnight_short.mp3

cheers

^

Haha thanks man. But serious i really improved a tone. Now i can sing in pitch and really high and low good, which i couldn't really do before. You get that "metal" quality to your voice for free once you master it which all great singers have. I haven't met any vocal coach that systematically now the exercises to yield such results.

My 00.2

The German speaks the words of truth once again. I can't sing for shit (seriously, even if my life depended on it, I couldn't hit 5% of the notes of In Bloom and I'm perfectly fine with that), but I've worked with vocalists who have been potential and rather decent before taking lessons and damn near amazing after a while.

If you're just starting out, it can't hurt to get the basics down with a good teacher. It's easier than developing a crap technique and fixing it afterwards.

Off topic, but i ended watching a mumford and sons live and thought..."fucking hell, they're actually alright!" Keep an almost gritty edge to the Indie type stuff

Off topic, but i ended watching a mumford and sons live and thought..."fucking hell, they're actually alright!" Keep an almost gritty edge to the Indie type stuff

I dont know what it is about these guys but I really think they are awesome. Usually i hear acoustic guitars and clean vocals and think, look at this douchebag. For some reason i see ALOT of talent in what these dudes do

Edit: BTW im gonna start looking at coaches next week