So....I want to learn to play the guitar

spag

I am a leaf on the wind
Sep 18, 2006
Everywhere and nowhere
Am I mental for wanting to learn something like this late in life? Seems like the world is full of 14 year old shredders now. Obviously, given my musical tastes, I'm not going to be wanting to play Kumbaya on an acoustic either.

So assuming I want to do this, where is the best place to start? I know I need lessons. Bulletin board at a Guitar Center? Any idea how I can choose a teacher, or do I just have to go through a bunch till I find one I like? Obviously, I would be nice to find someone that has similar taste in music, but that's probably not going to be easy.

Equipment....

Guitars. There are so many. Is it going to matter at first? Given what I want to do/learn, any advice?

I was thinking about a headphone amp for learning, so my gf doesn't strangle me in my sleep. Just get a Rockman? What else do I need to get that metal sound I crave?

I can't believe I don't know any band dudes at this point in life. I do feel old.

Hey me TOO!! I just told some people that the other day :Smokin:

So - I guess that means you can count me out for teaching you :Smug:

*but i'm assuming you probably didn't have that in mind anyways!*:lol:

IT's NEVER too late to learn how to play. Check out musiciansfriend.com. They have great deals on guitar and amp combos if your are just starting out. No need to spend a lot if you are just a beginner. Line 6 makes a great little gaget called a Guitar port so you can play on the computer. The software is easy to use and gives you a range of amps and effects to play with. You can also jam along to your mp3s with it. Great for learning songs.
As far as lessons go you just have to ask around. Don't be shy. Just tell people what kind of music you are into and I'm sure they will be more than willing to point you the right direction.
Asking around the UM forum would be a good start.

Good luck!

I took lessons for three years, and never got very far. Lemme give you some advice based on what I've learned.

Find an instructor who plays the kind of music you want to play, or at least close. Don't go with a Jazz instructor when you want to play metal.

Get references from the instructor and call them. Make sure past students were happy with the instructor. Also, make sure you instructor has some teaching experience. My instructor was a great guy, and a great guitar teacher who just wasn't an effective teacher.

Get a guitar that you like. It will make you want to pick it up and practice. Practice. Don't blow it off.

Make goals. Decide what you want to accomplish as a player. It will help you achieve it. If you don't have a goal, you can never achieve it.

BTW, you might want to check out local colleges (or junior colleges) for instruction.

Get a guitar that you like. It will make you want to pick it up and practice. Practice. Don't blow it off.

BTW, you might want to check out local colleges (or junior colleges) for instruction.

This is great advice... Get a guitar that you like and that is comfortable. I can't tell you how many times i have seen people start with an old hand me down acoustic guitar that has string action 4 inches off the fretboard. It;s hard to play, it won't stay in tune etc...They get frustrated and stop before they get over the hump of work where it becomes really fun.

Also I took classical guitar and theory in college. A junior college will provide a variety of different classes from theory, jazz, improvisation etc...Not really tailored to progressive stuff but any and all exposure helps. Plus classes at a JC will be way cheaper then having an instructor to start.

Though it's definitely not a requirement to/for some, I would strongly suggest learning how to read music along with learning to play the instrument. I started out playing by ear, and when the music became something visual also, an entire new world was opened up.

There is a wealth of knowledge available on DVD and/or online streaming video that you can pull from as well. Being able to get an instructional tool you can choose according to your preferred style and use over and over again is invaluable.

When you start auditioning teachers, do make sure it's a good fit. If you end up with someone who has the "my way only" approach, run. Run very, very fast. Technique is such an integral and personal aspect of playing - it's most wise to research many possibilities in order to find the way that is best for you. Any instructor who limits themselves will be limiting you, in turn.

i think an instructor helps, but with all the info on the net, if you have a nice instrument you ENJOY playing, there is a ridiculous amount of info at your finger tips for all styles.

when you first start playing guitar, you know all the basic stuff applies regardless what you play... picking, chords, reading tablature (unless you want to read sheet too, which is extremely helpful). if blowing money isnt a problem for you, get an instructor all the way, but if you want to save some money id say get a friend to show you the ropes and the basic stuff, thats what i did.

once you get to a certain point its all up to you anyways, thats just how i view it. i think an instructor is great and all, and can inspire you with some new stuff, and truly get you going, but alot of people go to instructors just go get their "hand held" if you know what i mean.

there is no right or wrong, teach yourself, or get someone else to teach you, it doesnt matter, in the end its your dedication that makes the difference.

but like i said if you dont want to blow the money on an instructor, just get a buddy to show you the basic stuff, and move on your own.

Well, I just turned 51 not too long ago and decided to teach myself quitar to overcome boredom in hotels when I'm traveling. I got a lot of advice from a lot of guitar player friends and got a guitar I liked and it definitely helps when it comes to getting my fat lazy ass to practice. I also ended up getting a little Crate 15W amp with a headphone jack and a good pair of Sennheiser headphones. As far as the music thing goes, I was a piano and woodwinds performance major in college, so I had the sight reading and theory part of things already taken care off. Now if I can just my fingers to bend the right way. Keep after it and sooner or later it gets to be a hell of a lot of fun. Also be realistic in your goals. I know I am not going to live enough years to become the next Michael Romeo or John Petrucci, but I can play the hell out of 3 chord blues progression!:headbang:

Great replies everyone !! I have been playing guitar for about 25 years, but I can tell you that it isn't too late to start. While I would like to consider myself an "advanced" player.... I am so bad out of practice, I am probably "intermediate." However, I love to hear budding guitarists play. There is no feeling like you can get when you first make music on a guitar. As far as the "acoustic" thing goes with learning "Kumbaya" be careful what you wish for. Playing an acoustic and being able to incorporate it into metal even just as an intro or something is great as well. The acoustic is an expressive instrument just as the electric is.
My suggestion for buying an instrument is a Korean Ibanez. A Crate combo amp is a good starter as well. I also suggest learning how to play a power chord. That is the basis of metal music.

Bryant

Am I mental for wanting to learn something like this late in life? Seems like the world is full of 14 year old shredders now. Obviously, given my musical tastes, I'm not going to be wanting to play Kumbaya on an acoustic either.

quote]