Anyone tried to learn Chinese (mandarin)

StefTD

Jun 29, 2005
Esslingen, Germany
Hey guys,

due to the fact that I try to find a new job right now, I thought about trying to learn a new language.
I really enjoy learning languges and imho it would be cool to learn one that is more useful in the
future, and that could help me to find a job.

After some time I thought I should learn Chinese, would like to know if someone here is able to speak
Mandarin or learns it because I would like to know if it is hard to learn (like many people say).

I hope I am atleast decent in German (native), not that bad in English, acceptable in Spanish,
got some basics in French (but I hate that language, sorry) and I am pretty good at reading Danish,
not really good at speaking or writing because I never really learned it.

Would be cool to get some tips, going to visit a course in my city, but the next one is starting in
4 weeks or so, so I have to wait some time, would be cool to get some infos before.

Hey,

i've been to China a couple of times and thought about learning Mandarin, cause you're just screwed if you don't speak it - the average Chinese joe doesn't speak any English. I don't know how talented you are when it comes to learning languages, to me it was a pain in the ass and I quited quite early. It's really, really, really hard, I think it's mainly because it isn't related to any language you already know, so you have to start from the very beginning. Anyway, maybe you should just give it a shot, good luck!

I have to go to Taiwan 6-8 time a year for work. But I have only a smattering of the language. According to my american coworker that moved over there. If you really want to learn it you have to start by learning the alphabet. That'll take you about a week to 2 weeks of regular study. I'll find out what courses he used prior to moving there and taking the immersion course. German's actually have an advantage with some of the pronunciation of mandarin. There are a lot of glottals in the language. I have problems with differentiating some of the diphthongs though. That takes lots of practice to pick up in regular conversation as western ears aren't trained to hear that.

I'll post again when I hear back from him.

thanks guys, a friend of mine speaks Mandarin (he's Chinese) and said that my pronunciation
isn't that bad, he would actually give me a few lessons, but he moved a few hundred miles
away, gonna take the course anyway, if I like it can go to the advanced course.

I had Chinese (Mandarin) in school and went to Beijing on a very short student exchange program (only 4 weeks). It was pretty awesome and I personally didn't find it too hard to learn, but that's just me. Everyone else thought it was very hard. That being said I don't know hardly any mandarin anymore (just tourist stuff like how to tell the taxi driver where i wanna go) since that was over 10 years ago and I just didn't continue to pursue that path.
I'd say it's definitely worth a try and I think it's pretty fun aswell. :)

I'm glad you posted something on this, as I have considered doing the same. I was thinking about picking up Rosetta Stone for this. Does anyone have any experience using this for any other languages?

I speak Mandarin, but I can't write/read. I grew up in America, but my parents are from Taiwan.

It's freaking hard. As mentioned, you should start by learning the "alphabet" or bpmf. My mom taught me as a child, but if you really want to learn the language, you just have to use it ALL the time.

I just spent three years learning Mandarin at school (GCSE). It's a horrible, illogical, difficult language, and I would thoroughly recommend that you disregard any aspirations to learn it.

I'm a Vietnamese and I have to say that Chinese is somehow speakingwise similiar to Vietnamese.
And I have to say:

It is really really difficult to learn such a language. The difference to other languages like e.g. German or Italian is that it is somehow melodic .
Even one word can have 5 different meanings when you speak it a little bit different.

The font of Japanese and Chinese looks similiar to outsiders, but the difference in speaking those two languages is pretty big. Japanese is a little bit like English or any other language when it comes to melody. In English you can speak on one note like e.g. C and everybody will understand you. But in Chinese this will not work, e.g. you have to pitch down your voice while saying a word and even a different speed of pitching down will change the meaning of the word... This is so damn hard haha :D

It's probably a good idea seeing how they will own the world soon. might as well know what your boss is yelling at you for.One of the oldest , most intelligent cultures in history. They took there time conquring the world.