clean singing - tips?

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey guys,

i'd really love to get improve my singing abilities. the background is that i'm doing backing vocals in a female fronted band, and since we changed the whole line-up i'm the only guy who's remotely able to sing (in the old lineup the drummer had a great singing voice, and the other guitar player also frequently did backing vocals). our music really calls for some additional vocals, as we got some epic choruses with lots of vocal layers that just don't feel right with just her lead voice in a live situation.
obviously, the other option would be playing to a click and pre-recording her backing vocals, but i'd like to avoid that as much as possible - i like to hear a band perform LIVE, so the whole pre-recording thing doesn't really fit into my vision of the band so to speak.

anyways, i wonder if anyone could share some tips and practice routines to improve at singing. i can do the heavy growl/scream parts just fine, it's the clean passages that i'm struggling with.
i feel that i mostly need to work at my intonation and general timbre/expression, but anything singing related will be appreciated.

i know that a few guys on here can sing quite decently, so if anyone could share some tips i'd greatly appreciate it!

thanks in advance

I think one can learn guitar alone, but I also think it's impossible to get serious at singing without singing lessons.

So go get yourself a good singing teacher. I have one, and he is awesome. He is even himself into rock/hard/metal (his favourite bands are Pantera and Motorhead) and it helps me so much.

I'm spending money with his lessons but I'm saving years of errors and loss of time.

I'm worried about clean singing as well. My band has a few songs where our other guitarist insists on having singing vocals going on, and a lot of the time he sounds terribly out of key. It's only 2 parts of 2 songs that has these types of vocals, and I can hear what he's going for, but when you have friends coming to you after shows saying how we need to make the other guy stop singing.....yeah..... =/

Anyway, we are about to start recording 7 songs ourselves, and I know its going to be hours of me telling him to do it again and again and again, but hopefully this will help him overall.

Singing lessons, sure, if you can afford it and have time. I'm not a vocalist so I'll just shut up now.