How do sing?

I have watched a video where a singer could reach 7 octaves for real, don't know if I can find it again. Of course, the extreme octaves were useless and out of confort zone. I couldn't believe it until I saw it, but there are people who can do that, and not necessarly freaks, just people mastering their technique :)

EDIT : I think it's Brett Manning, Hayley william's coach (at least in one of his videos)
EDIT 2 : it's 6 octaves, my bad. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAeYPg6AccI&feature=channel[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm checking out several voice coaches on youtube and WTF? What's up with all this funny voice trickery? I can't even describe the noises they're making. How does this help you sing? I don't get it. :confused:

I'm checking out several voice coaches on youtube and WTF? What's up with all this funny voice trickery? I can't even describe the noises they're making. How does this help you sing? I don't get it. :confused:

This is just demo.

And you can see this as a working exercise. If you can be at ease in a 5 or 6 octave range, then, you'll sing really easily in your confort zone.

No coach ever said this is actually useful to sing.

No exercise is intended to sound good. It's like, shredding on guitar. It sounds 99% of the time quite lame, but it makes your hand be relaxed in all situations after you mastered them.

And about my warmup, just wait a few days. I'll record it when I'll have the time to.

So those frog noises actually help you sing? That's crazy. I guess if it works, it works. I'm going to feel like a total ass hat doing these things. :bah:

I'm not looking to be an awesome high range singer. Just want to be comfortable "singing" in my industrial project thats never going to get finished. :bah:

Well, I don't think those "frog" sounds are useful for us, beginners. I'm sure we wouldn't feel the interest physically. Anyway, no one can do them properly before being close to sing perfectly "normal" high pitched notes. You would just end performing "attempts", or uncontrolled sounds, which is in essence useless. It's like, trying to play master of puppets when you just got your first guitar yesterday. And, the day when you will be able to be close to this, I'm sure you will have no need for somebody to explain you how to train.

I'm not a pro, but I suggest you mainly train on normal training on range of your vocal performances. Improving your high range could improve your overall singing performances, whatever you would sing. A lot of singers are capable of many things they never use.

I am myself personnaly interested in being able to growl or highpitch growl, but for the moment, I'm focusing in lerning the basis of every singing technique. It's much more interesting overall than just training doing growl all day.

Also, even myself don't train too much on it, but warming up 10mns a day, and singing scales 10 other mns a day, can improve your singing dramatically.

I'm not myself a good singer for the moment, but those philosophical things are stuff I have learnt here and there, from my teacher or from friends, or from various sources.

Ok, I've recorded 18mns of explanation of my usual warm up, learnt from my teacher (which is really a good singer and vocal coach so I always try to follow his advices). I hope it at least gives you idea. You should try to create your own warmup and try to follow it each time you are training, it's like sport, you need to warm up your muscles, especially when you are trying to go beyond your limits or you can damage your beloved vocals.

I said I would write a text but I prefered to explain everything on the fly. If you ever need an explanation, just ask me. Maybe a few words are hard to get because of my accent of whatever.

I have to go for a few hours, so here is the dropbox link, keep in mind it's still uploading so wait maybe an hour before saying "there's a 404 error". It will eventually be uploaded in 15mn minimum. BTW it's a 96kbps file, no need for more : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/divers/singing warmup.mp3