The Metal Vocals primer and Q&A

Great info here; thanks for giving us your time! It's refreshing to know that there are still knowledgeable teachers out there who encourage creativity and are in it for more than an easy paycheck.

Your welcome. I'm glad you found it usefull. I'm certainly not opposed to being finanacially sucessfull, and think they myth of the starving artist is highly over rated. However, if you don't like what you do, you have to go elsewhere. There are much easier ways to get money if that's what your after. Not only that, but it's not a smart move career wise either.

If your the guy teaching the bandwagon guys thier skills, when that trend dies, so does your buisness. Who wants to be the singer training with the guy who taught all the singers they claim to be the alternative to?

Doing what matters to you make good sense for the soul AND the wallet.

Actually Phil had pretty good chops if you go back to the early work. I can even hear some good mic work and control on 101 proof even though it is a mixed bag with rougher moments. I think we can thank severe alcohol and drug abuse for his vocal issues.

Oh yeah... all you have to do is listen to Cowboys and Vulgar to know he had good chops... but they died after that. He started sounding like a drunk chain smoker.

Could someone explain to me what Phil Anselmo was doing wrong that destroyed his voice? I'm assuming it was all the yelling he did but I imagine it goes a bit deeper than that...

lots of drugs ... won't say for sure anything about heroin but it would have definitely been opiate based. ANYTHING opiate based is gonna destroy your voice over a shorter period of time than you may want to believe. Prescription painkillers (opiate) can do just as much damage as straight up bootin

Perfect timing for me to humbly join the discussion, especially after Mago's last post about female screamers/growlers (absolutely no disrespect to you though at all, as you stated you had just *heard* about girls not being able to do this stuff, no worries!) As a forward: I am not affiliated with Rodney or Extreme Vocals at all, besides being a former student & he's probably the least 'promotional' guy I've ever met but just wanted to jump in and talk a bit about what he's saying here, and how it comes into play in realistic terms. I'll try to make it short and sweet. It's not even about his own particular teaching at all, in some ways, but about the techniques & knowledge behind this entire way of singing. And yes, it IS singing.

PS: Big props to Anssi Tenhunen, good for you to start singing/screaming now, I started WAAAY later in life, too, a similar story....And, my mother is Finnish, I grew up very Finn and, she is living in Helsinki now :)

I started training w/Rodney almost 4 years ago, after having NO vocal training at all in my life but yet trying out different teachers that would *say* they knew how to teach grit/screaming but never did it themselves, or, said it was impossible to do without hurting yourself, etc. I was not even trying to go that far as a vocalist even, I just wanted to stop hurting after each show I did locally here in LA, doing raspy singing & occasional screams in metal bands. I didn't even think I had that capability to do 'extreme' screaming...

Long story short is that these techniques, if you can even call it that, helped me get to a level where I could record an album w/a legendary band + producer in neck-breaking time, tour Europe on 8, maybe 9 rehearsals TOTAL, learn a back catalog of music in a month and do show after show each night with zero damage. All while working my normal day job too (well, not while on tour of course). And...doing things with my voice that I never thought possible. Ever.

But it IS possible, and I'm not saying just w/Rodney either: find a vocal teacher in your area, if you can, or even remotely via Skype or internet, who will work with YOUR voice uniquely and guide you to what you are best able to do. I wasn't aware that I could even do these things necessarily, although I wanted to but had been told so many times that I couldn't because a) I'm a girl b) you can't do it w/out damage c) you have to drink whisky or Throat Coat or vinegar or milk or smoke, etc (which I DID try too, all of which winded up with me not being able to talk for 2 days after a show!) and d) only certain people are 'born with it' and there is no way to learn it organically. Bullshit. A good *metal* vocal coach is key, it is like training for the Olympics with extreme music it really is, if you want to be someone who can do it over and over again without damage. And, my 'regular' singing voice also improved astoundingly (and fortunately) too, it is ALL connected. Find a good person who is in it for the right reasons, who also loves the music/genre and can actually perform the music as well. I'm sure a lot of us on here have all found vocal teachers who only know how to do 'traditional' singing and think metal/extreme screaming is not singing at all.

Anyways, just wanted to add that in here as an example. Many of you already have posted about the key things that it takes as a foundation: breath control, projection 'over the pencil' (as Melissa Cross calls it), not pushing/forcing and water, water WATER and all are supremely excellent. But above all, and if you can, find someone who can guide you/mentor you as well: it will take you from capable to absolutely deadly, and isn't that what metal is all about?

lots of drugs ... won't say for sure anything about heroin but it would have definitely been opiate based. ANYTHING opiate based is gonna destroy your voice over a shorter period of time than you may want to believe. Prescription painkillers (opiate) can do just as much damage as straight up bootin

Although sounding destroyed and not normal at all, I really like Phil's talking voice :lol:

Perfect timing for me to humbly join the discussion, especially after Mago's last post about female screamers/growlers (absolutely no disrespect to you though at all, as you stated you had just *heard* about girls not being able to do this stuff, no worries!)

I remember now where I read it, it was at the blog/homepage of some very well known female singer for a major band ;)
I also know why it sounded strange for me, because I thought the sound isn't generate at the vocal chords, so their thickness shouldnt tell something about if you should do it or not.
Took the chance to clear that up with Rodney though, as I'd rather tell someone who asks me rather to be carefull because I heared that and have not been proven otherwise (until Rodney told me) then telling without any professional knowledge "nah can't imagine this is true, go on, destroy your voice!" ;)
Nice post for the rest, and cheers!

Solid advice Tiina. Thanks for dropping in. Tiina definitely speaks from a position of experience. She's worked hard for her abilites and has had them seriously tested.

Skinny Viking- I love that vid. Seen it before. It's good humor and also goes to show, doing dumb sounding things for your vocals is one thing you'll never get past!

Resurrecting this awesome thread.

It would be cool to hear what some of the people who posted here saying they were starting to get really into it are up to nowadays in terms of singing, how they improved ever since, etc...

If people want to know precisely how you can improve in a two years period, just PM me.

An interesting thing I have noticed and people have talked about is the fact that false fold distortion tends to tickle. From what I understand they say it's more prone to cause polyps than lesions, but throat singers are able to sing kargyraa their entire lives this way. I have heard crazy things like 'you have to get polyps on your false folds' etc... but it seems far fetched.
The problem is that is seems inevitable that kargyraa or any low false fold singing will tickle after a while, though it doesn't lead to any hoarse voice or anything of that nature... just a strange pain. I believe Dan Swano said in an interview that the low stuff hurts after a while, too. Thoughts?