How do sing?

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
I´ve been checking some websites and stuff about vocal lessons, I really want to learn how to sing well (clean vocals I mean, proper technique, singing in tune, etc.) and getting in vocal classes here is kinda expensive (over 100 euros a month) and I simply can´t afford it right now. Although I will probably get a proper teacher/coach in the near future, I still want to go ahead and see what I can do on my own to get my vocal chops working decently enough to sing some clean vocals in my doom/death band (I am the vocalist, but only do death grunts, I can´t seem to sing in tune for shit)

Any links to some good sites? Or personal tips from some of the singers around here? I find it´s really hard to explain the technique in text (or too hard for me to understand it hehe), so if there is video or audio material it would be cool.

IMO, singing success by brett manning is pretty good.. more oriented for pop/rnb but lessons are great still..

Honestly dude, go for lessons. Yes they're expensive, no you can't pirate them, but they fucking WORK.

I went through Zen of Screaming and practically every video on Youtube, etc. on singing, including that one above, when getting our band's singer a little better. He improved slowly. He went for two half hour lessons with a vocal coach (Fucking $80/hour here, ridiculously expensive, dunno how much it is there) and he went from 'a guy who can sing in tune' to 'a singer'. In two weeks he achieved more than we had looking at videos in a whole year. Even if you can only afford a couple, they are WELL worth it (assuming you get a guy who knows wtf he's doing).

Honestly dude, go for lessons. Yes they're expensive, no you can't pirate them, but they fucking WORK.

I went through Zen of Screaming and practically every video on Youtube, etc. on singing, including that one above, when getting our band's singer a little better. He improved slowly. He went for two half hour lessons with a vocal coach (Fucking $80/hour here, ridiculously expensive, dunno how much it is there) and he went from 'a guy who can sing in tune' to 'a singer'. In two weeks he achieved more than we had looking at videos in a whole year. Even if you can only afford a couple, they are WELL worth it (assuming you get a guy who knows wtf he's doing).

I'm not pirating anything dude, and I think the assumptions many people have been taking here lately about how everyone is guilty of pirating until proven otherwise are pointless and annoying.

Like I said before, it's not that I don't want to pay for vocal lessons because I KNOW getting a teacher/coach is the best and fastest way to learn and get good at it, it's that I CAN'T pay for it. I've been looking for a job for 7 months now, I am running out of reserve cash to live, I've been keeping myself from buying a coke in the street just to save some cash. So as much as I want to get lessons, I, in present time, cannot afford it.

So for now I'm stuck with free shit like youtube and other sites (And Zen of Screaming which I bought some time ago), and doing my best to learn from this.

Anyways, any tips or good sites about ear practice?

I'm not pirating anything dude, and I think the assumptions many people have been taking here lately about how everyone is guilty of pirating until proven otherwise are pointless and annoying.

Like I said before, it's not that I don't want to pay for vocal lessons because I KNOW getting a teacher/coach is the best and fastest way to learn and get good at it, it's that I CAN'T pay for it. I've been looking for a job for 7 months now, I am running out of reserve cash to live, I've been keeping myself from buying a coke in the street just to save some cash. So as much as I want to get lessons, I, in present time, cannot afford it.

So for now I'm stuck with free shit like youtube and other sites (And Zen of Screaming which I bought some time ago), and doing my best to learn from this.

Anyways, any tips or good sites about ear practice?

The pirating thing was just a general comment, not directed at you man.

Didn't know you were unemployed, that complicates things a bit. From my experience though, u haven't really found these online vids to be of any more help than simply practicing, as much as I'd like them to. Ymmv

However the warmups on zen of screaming are quite good.

The pirating thing was just a general comment, not directed at you man.

Didn't know you were unemployed, that complicates things a bit. From my experience though, u haven't really found these online vids to be of any more help than simply practicing, as much as I'd like them to. Ymmv

However the warmups on zen of screaming are quite good.

It's all cool man, no problem. But yeah I really can not pay for classes right now, but as I said in the OP I will look forward to getting a coach/teacher in the near future when I can pay for it.

But yeah Zen of screaming has some cool warm-ups, and there are some youtube vids that give some nice tips, I hope that can help me to at least be "a guy that sings", cause right now I'm barely "A guy who can growl decently"

Yep, im currently taking vocal lessons with a coach and with him we are taking our time. Consolidating the basis is damn important. It's something I have never done in guitar playing but now I'm doing it for singing.

First thing that surprised me is how important the warmup is in a lesson. It should last 15 to 20mn, even when you are experienced.

If you want, I can write down my current warmup, and record it so that you have a warmup that is decent, and different maybe from others.

Yep, im currently taking vocal lessons with a coach and with him we are taking our time. Consolidating the basis is damn important. It's something I have never done in guitar playing but now I'm doing it for singing.

First thing that surprised me is how important the warmup is in a lesson. It should last 15 to 20mn, even when you are experienced.

If you want, I can write down my current warmup, and record it so that you have a warmup that is decent, and different maybe from others.

Dude that would be awesome, if you can take the time to do that I would greatly appreciate it

Interesting thread Dani.

I really would like to learn some techniques guys but as I think Zen Of Screaming is just for screaming, or at least is what I understand after watching Youtube's trailers.
I do not want to scream like a tortured wilderbeast but only improve my awful singing and reach higher tones (my voice is very low tuned)

I just want to sing like DIO and Jorn Lande!

Interesting thread Dani.

I really would like to learn some techniques guys but as I think Zen Of Screaming is just for screaming, or at least is what I understand after watching Youtube's trailers.
I do not want to scream like a tortured wilderbeast but only improve my awful singing and reach higher tones (my voice is very low tuned)

I just want to sing like DIO and Jorn Lande!

Zen of screaming actually isn't that much about screaming like a tortured beast, it has some awesome warmups and exercises that apply to normal singing, cause after all when screaming you should be using the same technique (breathing, etc.) than normal singing. I don't think it'll help you to get a better range, but it might help you improve your singing technique.

Dude, now that we're on the subject, on your song "El Bovagante" I can hear a few obvious strange thingies on the voice, like an autotune fuckup or something. Do you autotune yourself on the Reno albums? was it only that song that you did it?

Dude, now that we're on the subject, on your song "El Bovagante" I can hear a few obvious strange thingies on the voice, like an autotune fuckup or something. Do you autotune yourself on the Reno albums? was it only that song that you did it?

Hahahaha, I did 2 autotune effects on purpose to give the song more... we say "casposity" as being a parody song i thought it was cool.
But it was a demo version and I didn't know how to hell use it!...
I never use autotune... I can tune perfectly, my problem is my fucking range and my fucking vocal tone.
Oh, and also polyps in my inner nose.

In all honesty and good vocal teacher can get you singing well. I was fortunate enough to learn from Tony Harnell from TNT. But over the year lack of practice and starting smoking AGAIN has killed my high register somewhat. I still have 4 octaves just not 6 like I used to