Can smaller monitors (HS50M) be sufficient for home mixing?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I sold my HR824s not too long aho, they were just too much for me and I didn't have enough time in the day to devote to recording. I have more time now and want a new set of monitors. I'm thinking of staying small and going with the HS50Ms. Would these be sufficient for home use in a small room?

-Joe

Hs50s are perfect.
I use them and I'm very happy. At home you don't need big monitors because you have probably reflections and other things that make big and expensive monitors useless.
Moreover Tue Madsen use them on his studio!

Yes and no... the hs50m's have like no low end response and are super bright ns10 style. They're perfect as a reference monitor- I bought them to use as a reality check as a mix starts falling into place. As a standalone set though there's a LOT you won't hear at all... and you will need to find some way to compensate.

Yes and no... the hs50m's have like no low end response and are super bright ns10 style. They're perfect as a reference monitor- I bought them to use as a reality check as a mix starts falling into place. As a standalone set though there's a LOT you won't hear at all... and you will need to find some way to compensate.

Really? Hmm then...

Is there something else of a similar size that would be a better choice?

-Joe

Really? Hmm then...

Is there something else of a similar size that would be a better choice?

-Joe

I did a test with HS50m and Genelec 8020's.... genelec blown away hs50m.
Yamaha are good but they lack a little bit of lowend as others said, don't get me wrong they're good but genelec 8020's compared to hs50m have a lot more lowend.
But anyway, even genelec compared to big ones monitors lack a lot of lowend.
For home use studio genelec is a great choice.
You can even check event asp8, I read good reviews.

Thanks for the replies guys...

I just think 8"ers are too much for this little room right now, so something smaller is necessary. Those Genelecs do like right up my alley, I'm thinking of saving for them.

I'd still like to hear those Yamahas though.

-Joe

...but genelec's lowends (the 8020s)are produced by little tricks (I think)so, the response is not flat (and we want a flat eq in our monitor, right?)
Kaomao, if I don't remember wrong, sometime ago you said me that genelecs have too much lowends.
Anyway, a good starting point is "know your monitors". After that point, every body have his preferences. I chose Yamaha because they are cheap.I work good whit them so I'm happy :)

...but genelec's lowends (the 8020s)are produced by little tricks (I think)so, the response is not flat (and we want a flat eq in our monitor, right?)
Kaomao, if I don't remember wrong, sometime ago you said me that genelecs have too much lowends.
Anyway, a good starting point is "know your monitors". After that point, every body have his preferences. I chose Yamaha because they are cheap.I work good whit them so I'm happy :)

Hey man, do you have any mizes available that were done through the Yamahas?

-Joe

Nice...

Hey guys, how about Tannoys? say the Reveal 5as or the 6? The 6 would be cool but then I would need an amp, and have no clue what amp to buy for this type of application.

-Joe

Well I don't think they're coloured too much, ok they're not totally flat, tell me how many monitors are really flat? there is no monitor that sounds the same on this planet.
Anyway I said they got a mighty lowend because before I just compared them to the yamaha's hs50s, just now I realized that huge lowend is something different.