Can the deaf enjoy music?

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
People that have been completely deaf their entire lives, can they/do they enjoy music? I would think that the only way this would be possible is to feel vibrations in a speaker or something along those lines. Is there a type of sign language that the deaf use that is supposed to be representative of music? I am curious; if I ever lost my hearing I would miss music immensely and would search relentlessly to regain some enjoyment from music.

they actually can feel the bass if it's loud enough. a deaf told me once he likes to go to large dancehalls where the music is so loud that he can feel the vibe in his stomach.

don't forget (or didn't you know..?) that Beetoven went deaf - he composed some of his works by putting his ear to his piano and feeling the vibrations
mind you that is some kind of musical genius... but i think it is an important point

if i lost my hearing, i could deal with everything except the loss of music

Deaf people can only feel the vibration of the music - I can't believe that can equate to enjoyment. Maybe comparing vibrations gives the deaf a sense of the beat for which they enjoy, but not the tone, voice, and beauty of music [IMO]